• Register Today It's free!

wheel bearings

Kwthor

Reaction score
City, State
Houston Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 ford explorer 4x4
so ive been having alil issue with wheel bearings lately I did the t-bar twist and hangers and added a set of 31s x12 on 10" rims and have been blowing thru wheel bearing like crazy any suggestion on hd bearings don't have money for the sas at the moment lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New wheels with different offset may help you. Puts the load back where it was intended to be from the factory. I'm going to venture a guess and say that your wheels are sticking outside of your rig a ways? This usually will put extra stress on the wheel bearings.

Also found this with a quick search..

"Wheel Bearings

I have found that when running large tires on the Explorer a severe jolt to the wheel can cause the outer spindle locknut to come loose, causing excessive play in the wheel bearing (loss of preload).

In the stock configuration, the inner spindle nut has a pin which engages a keyed washer. The keyed washer keeps the inner nut from turning but there is nothing to keep the outer nut from breaking loose except the torque that is applied to it.

Warn now has a solution to this problem. Warn part #37207* (conversion kit) replaces the stock keyed washer with a new washer which incorporates slots instead of holes for locking purposes. The new outer locknut has been drilled for three small allen screws. These screws when tightened will engage one or more of the slots in the washer. Combined with the stock pinned inner locknut this makes for a nearly bullet proof set up. I have yet to experience a problem with the new locknuts.

*Warn has discontinued part #37207. The only way to get the required parts is to make them yourself."

Yeah the rims and tires stick out but not dramasticly

New wheels with different offset may help you. Puts the load back where it was intended to be from the factory. I'm going to venture a guess and say that your wheels are sticking outside of your rig a ways? This usually will put extra stress on the wheel bearings.

Also found this with a quick search..

"Wheel Bearings

I have found that when running large tires on the Explorer a severe jolt to the wheel can cause the outer spindle locknut to come loose, causing excessive play in the wheel bearing (loss of preload).

In the stock configuration, the inner spindle nut has a pin which engages a keyed washer. The keyed washer keeps the inner nut from turning but there is nothing to keep the outer nut from breaking loose except the torque that is applied to it.

Warn now has a solution to this problem. Warn part #37207* (conversion kit) replaces the stock keyed washer with a new washer which incorporates slots instead of holes for locking purposes. The new outer locknut has been drilled for three small allen screws. These screws when tightened will engage one or more of the slots in the washer. Combined with the stock pinned inner locknut this makes for a nearly bullet proof set up. I have yet to experience a problem with the new locknuts.

*Warn has discontinued part #37207. The only way to get the required parts is to make them yourself."

We're in the second gen forum. They went with a sealed hub on 4x4 models. No spindles nuts and locking nuts to speak of in them (in the sense that you're talking about).

dramasticly

That's an interesting word.

What brand do you keep buying?

Well that's all good and great.. I'm still leaning towards the offset of the new wheels being the problem with the added stresses on the bearings..

Yeah only nut is the cv shaft nut but in guessing my off set is just messed up

* iphone problems* lol and ones from orileys

Try spending the money on a Timken.

Back