Wheel cylinder - 93 Navajo

Kevin_OBrien

Reaction score
City, State
Ronkonkoma, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Hi guys.

My 1993 Mazda Navajo just started leaking brake fluid at one of the rear wheels and the peddle is now to the floor. I assume this is a bad wheel cylinder.

I am familiar with how the rear brakes work I just haven't actually worked on them before. Is this easy enough to change? And could someone please just give my some quick instructions.

Thank you.
Kevin

If its like normal brakes which I would think they are, you have to remove the topof the brake shoes away from the wheel cylinder first. Then remove the brake fluid line from the BACK side and the 2 bolts holding the wheel cylinder on to the assembly! Replace in reverse order. Then tighten everything up and fill the brake fluid resovior up to the proper level. Then you have to bleed the wheel cylinder that you replaced and maybe the rest of the system too!
HINTS:
SPRAY the brake fluid line & the 2 rear bolts with WD40 or similar a few days ahead of time. Probably twice.
I only use a line wrench. This is a wrench that is boxed but has 1 (usually the top) side open. Its a special wrench that you need so that you don't screw up the brake fluid line. That would be a headache.
NEVER work around or under any vehicle that is jacked up with out proper chocking under wheels and always use proper jack stands. THESE ARE MUST DOs!!! Check your manual to see what jack to use and how to use your jack to lift where you are working and see if they have any chocking and jack stand information. If not buy a Haynes , Chilton or simular repair manual and see if they have any of the above instructions in their manual. If you plan on working on your own vehicle you should buy one of these books! They usually sell for under $20.00 and are worth $20,000.00 in information. If just for a few repairs now and then you should be able to get these manuals at your local library.
Hey Kevin, I just saw its your 1st post here! Welcome! I'm fairly new here too.

Thanks for the information. I just picked up a Chilton manual today on my Navajo. I have to wait for some of this snow to melt before I can work on it. In the meantime I am going to go out and buy the wheel cylinder. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.
Kevin

Back