• Register Today It's free!

wheel lean up front.

FHBasketball

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 SPORT
Hey. I lowered my explorer in the front by using the TT method, then I flipped the Torsion keys. I've had it done since august, and noticed then that the top of the front wheels lean in toward the vehicle, while the bottom kind of lean out, if that makes sense. I knew this wold affect how my tires wear, but they are wearing really fast o the inside now. Is there anyway to correct this lean problem??

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alignment

I'm not sure if your year needs the camber adjuster kit, but those and good alignment should fix that easily. I put the cams on myself and got the alignment done at the shop.

When you back out the torsion keys, or flip them, either way you need to add the camber adjusters, or else your front tires will look like this from the front / \

Thanks for you r help, both of you. Any suggestions on where to get them??? or what brand.

Thanks again.

Mine were included in the x-spec kit I purchased from Explorer express.
My opinion is you should get that kit, and shocks engineered for a 2" drop.
Don't get upset at this, but don't go screwing around with your suspension if you don't understand what you are doing. It isn't safe to be driving your vehicle in the condition it is in. I'm not saying not to do this, but try searching, and shopping around, read up on your suspension, and go for it.
I guess what I'm saying is it is good you ask the question, but you should have asked it and got an answer before you lowered it.
Whether it is true or not, these vehicles have a bad reputation, that is suspension related( rollover). Are you willing to modify this suspension your own way, then drive next to my daughter on the freeway?

I don't understand why it is a bad idea to be driving like this. With the wheels like this, / \ , the vehicle would be less likely to rollover. Plus, with it lowered it handles better. I've been driving like that for almost 6 months, with no problems. The vehicle only has rollover problems if you don't know how to drive.

FHBasketball said:
I've been driving like that for almost 6 months, with no problems. The vehicle only has rollover problems if you don't know how to drive.

Umm, didn't you say you were having tire wear problems???

Reducing the ride height in and of itself does not necessarily reduce the rollover risk. It can, and does cause other handling issues. Excessive negative camber causes, at the very least, excessive wear on the inside edges of the tires. Additionally, if the lean is excessive, you have a reduced contact patch between the tire and the road, which, of course, can reduce traction when cornering. Above all, it loads the tires in ways they were never meant to be loaded, which can certainly result in premature failure.

ANY change to the ride height should require an alignment check at the very least. In your case, some extra parts will be necessary to correct the camber, and a caster and toe adjustment will probably be in order as well. It's not a big deal, but must be done.

-Joe

Back