Wheel making very loud Metal scraping Metal Sound... Audio Clip attached | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel making very loud Metal scraping Metal Sound... Audio Clip attached

v3nn3m

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Well i live in ny and we had a bad snow storm about 10 days ago and about 3 days ago i noticed my truck making a very loud noise, sounds like metal scratching metal. i thought it might be sand or salt stuck somwhere it shuldnt be so i powerwashed the bottom and it stoped for about an hour and came back. Also it only happens in drivwe, not in reverse. and it kind of goes away when i pick up speed.

I walked next to the back wheel and recorded the sound while my friend moved foward. This recording is the car just rolling, with out pushing on the gas at all.

also i got new brakes about a month ago so i dont think thats what it is.:exp:

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ck your backing plates at the brakes. They sometimes get moved in slightly and barely touch the rotor and cause a sound like this.

Please only make one post. Duplicates just make it harder for people to help you, and it
"clogs up" the site.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302981
You should ask a moderator to delete this one, as this is not an "Under the Hood" issue, and move the other one to a more appropriate section, as it does not sound like a transmission/T-case/Differential issue.

Ck your backing plates at the brakes. They sometimes get moved in slightly and barely touch the rotor and cause a sound like this.

thanks, it would up being the emergency brake, the shop wanted $110 to fix it so i just pulled it out, and works mint now

Guys family friendly site. Any more conduct that does not fit that description will be dealt with.

ban_him_sm.jpg

Back