Wheel Offset Max and Min

Tonio1661

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT V8 4WD
Hello Everyone,

I have reviewed a few other threads but cant seem to get a clear answer. I have a 08' Explorer XLT with stock 16 inch rims that has a 44mm offset. I am wanting to install a 16 or 17 inch rim that has 0mm or 12mm offset. What, if any, issues may occur with the install of such a dramatic change to the offset? I wanted to lower the offset to push the wheels out further from the fender for a more aggressive stance.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So with the help of others I have come to the conclusion that such a drop in offset is to drastic. I have now considered a 35mm or 30mm offset rim. Won't push my wheels out as much as I had hoped but some is better than none.

more offset stresses the bearing, and flexes axle is solid axle. if you run stock tires with that offset its nothing ridiculous. some people run max offset (two dollar bills laid tip to tip) with super swampers. but they rebuild there front end annually. but at that rate its easy remove we bearings because they are so new / not rusted or anything like that.
anything less than 3 inches would be relatively safe. would suggest new rims over spaces.

more offset stresses the bearing, and flexes axle is solid axle. if you run stock tires with that offset its nothing ridiculous. some people run max offset (two dollar bills laid tip to tip) with super swampers. but they rebuild there front end annually. but at that rate its easy remove we bearings because they are so new / not rusted or anything like that.
anything less than 3 inches would be relatively safe. would suggest new rims over spaces.

Thanks Tike. So are you saying a 44mm offset to a 10mm would be relatively safe? Looking to avoid, if not reduce, frequent wheel bearing replacement if possible. Vehicle is daily driver.

44mm to 11mm is 33mm difference ~ 1.3 inch difference thats safe.and would minimal if any affect the bearings. new bearing wouldnt have any problem what so ever
if your bearings are already falling apart or shot thats a different story

Back