Wheel / Rim Decision help. Chrome or Black? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel / Rim Decision help. Chrome or Black?

While waiting for the new tires to get here I checked my old rims. Not only are they 15x7's (I've always thought they were 15x8's) but one is egg shaped and another it potato chip shaped..

I'm running 33x12.50's.. The new tires are BFG KM2's.. and will be here today....

I've narrowed my choices down to 3 rims..

Crager Chrome Quick Tricks.. (model 320).. or similar.. for $276
crr-320-5055_w.jpg

Procomp Rock Crawler Series 52 for $236
images.ashx?i=PCW_51.jpg

Or

Procomp Rock Crawler Series 98 for $247
images.ashx?i=PCW_97.jpg

These are all 3.75 BS and all those prices are after shipping/tax.

I am going to mount the tires back on my old rims "for now" so I can do some measuring, but I don't think I can go any less BS without a bunch more fender trimming since I'm already "grabbing" the lip of the front fender once in a while while wheeling.

I know I can't go anymore BS since I'm already rubbing the Radius Arms when turning (not full lock)..

Here is a static "side shot" of the X before the extended RAs but the height is about the same.. I'm just not sure how Black Rims will look on a blue truck.

2274347101_49552626b2.jpg

Coleman Side view by maniak_az, on Flickr

BTW, if someone could photoshop the black rims on our X, that would really help. Since our company got bought out, any non proven company owned software had to be removed from our machines so no more photoshop for me.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say stick with the Chrome, The black is getting Meh for me now days.

I really like both black ones alot. Black pretty much goes with anything and to me looks a little more off-roady. No photoshop for me either, so sadly I can't help you there. My vote is for either black ones, preferably the last ones.

Why do you want to go with steel wheels again? You'll probably just run into bent wheels again in a few years. And they're so much heavier than alloys.

But I vote for chrome, i'm tired of black wheels. Which is why I sold mine.

i heard the procomps bend easy,i would go the cragar chrome if it was me.i like the larger holes of the soft 8 though
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3985812/

The crager soft 8 and the us wheel black rims both have the same problem. No 3.75" BS. They have 4" and more but that BS is more than we have now..which is already at the limit. I took those off my list because of that..

~Mark

The chrome. That little extra shine makes it look all purdy

Why do you want to go with steel wheels again? You'll probably just run into bent wheels again in a few years. And they're so much heavier than alloys.

But I vote for chrome, i'm tired of black wheels. Which is why I sold mine.

I've seen aluminum break before, which is why I went with steel. We have had these steel ones for about 13 years and well over 200k miles. Who knows "when" they bent, but I have noticed unbalanced wheel/death wobble at 45mph over the last year or so.. never had them before..

We thought it was just the soft sidewalls on the tires, but now we are thinking it was a combination of soft sidewalls, 7" rims and bent rims.

~Mark

hows this.....kinda a rough draft

Screenshot2011-03-22at20739PM.jpg

Out of my price range. Rims are an "after thought" on the X. Already paid $800 for the tires and didn't expect to have to buy rims.. $300 for rims is already past what we want to spend.. Heck, I was "hoping" to get them for $250 :)

~Mark

gotca i vote the 320 then:thumbsup:

I like the Aero's

AEO-50-084730.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEO-50-084537/?rtype=10

Also remember, you can paint your rims:D

I just looked at the Aero Rims and see a few things...
"Must use 1" OD lugnuts with 45 degree taper"
not "DOT" approved for on highway (like thats an issue :))
"Designed for vehicles up to 4000 lbs"

I know our X is over 4k in wheeling trim

Was worth looking into...

And from looking at the photoshop of the black rims, it doesn't look "too bad".. I'll mull it over.. chrome costs more but Black will look worse when dirty and Our X is always dirty.. BUT, the X isn't exactly a beauty queen anyway.

Any other input would be appreciated.

~Mark

I'll get my vote in. Series 52.

I like black and the chrome center cap just sets it off a little bit. And I like the half circle better than a complete one. Not sure why, just do.

By the way Mark, had a bad experience with the pro comp steelies. Bent one first run out, and still don't even know how :dunno:

How about these? LOL!

34F022F1341F1CA87C290B802AF07002.jpg

I like the black rims. To me Chrome is overrated lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Out of my price range. Rims are an "after thought" on the X. Already paid $800 for the tires and didn't expect to have to buy rims.. $300 for rims is already past what we want to spend.. Heck, I was "hoping" to get them for $250 :)

~Mark

Plus the clear coat on those wheels isn't worth the cardboard box they come in.

Back