• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacer Help

97Mounty97

Reaction score
City, State
Port Huron, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I was looking to get some wheel spacers for my 97 mountaineer and these are the ones I was thinking about getting http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AU7HS2G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=A23ID4AZTDBV78

I want these to give it a wider and more aggressive stance to it and also I'm getting 32x11.5r15 tires for it and don't want them rubbing on anything
I know that if they are not wide enough that the stock lug bolts will stick out and will need to be trimmed...I don't really want to do that so are the spacers I have listed in the link above wide enough where I wouldn't have to trm the bolts? The spacers are 1.25". If they aren't wide enough what size would I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

You need to know the offset of the wheels your getting and the desired final placement of the outer edge of the wheel/tire. From there you can figure how much spacer thickness you want. If its less than about 8 mm, you just need a simple spacer that just fits under the wheel that is bolted down with the wheel bolts. Anything more than 8 mm, you don't really have long enough lug bolts to accommodate. Then you need the type you posted that actually bolt to the hub face and the wheel then bolts to the spacer. The general rule for deciding which kind is for you is after the wheel is installed on the hub with the desired spacing, you'll want the thickness of the bolt in threads still exposed to run the but down on. So if I remember right, the lugs are roughly 14 mm diameter so you'll want 14 mm of exposed threads for the nut to be torqued properly. Also remember whichever style you get, they need to be hub-centric to the existing hub and then again on the new wheel mounting surface to avoid imbalance issues. Hope this helps.

Also good quality spacers like h&r brand come with shorter nuts that mount the spacer to the trucks hub to avoid interfering with the wheel. Not see on these.

okay thanks for the help

im currently using a 5/16 slip on spacer with the stock rims and id say its the largest id ever go on stock studs to make sure you have enough thread to hold the rims on. any more spacing needed id just get the bolt on spacers to get the correct spacing

im currently using a 5/16 slip on spacer with the stock rims and id say its the largest id ever go on stock studs to make sure you have enough thread to hold the rims on. any more spacing needed id just get the bolt on spacers to get the correct spacing

Yeah I was going to use the stock rims with the 32s I'm getting so do you think the 5/16 slip on spacer would be enough to keep them from rubbing on anything?

not sure with 32s but my 31s dont rub with the spaces. id have to turn them to lock and see what i got for clearence to make sure. myself id say youd be good since theres a few guys here that run 32s on stock rims and seem to be ok. myself id be more worried that theyd rub on the fenders unless you have a lift done already

not sure with 32s but my 31s dont rub with the spaces. id have to turn them to lock and see what i got for clearence to make sure. myself id say youd be good since theres a few guys here that run 32s on stock rims and seem to be ok. myself id be more worried that theyd rub on the fenders unless you have a lift done already

I'm going to doing the TT for 2 inches, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, and the Monroe Sensa Trac Load Adjusting Shocks so hopefully I wont have any rubbing problems and if I do I'm sure it will be minor fender rubbing in the front

I'm going to doing the TT for 2 inches, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, and the Monroe Sensa Trac Load Adjusting Shocks so hopefully I wont have any rubbing problems and if I do I'm sure it will be minor fender rubbing in the front

yea youll be all set on the fender rub. tomorrow ill try to get a few pics loaded with the of mine with the 31s so you can see the stance

yea youll be all set on the fender rub. tomorrow ill try to get a few pics loaded with the of mine with the 31s so you can see the stance

okay cool! I appreciate it

I'm running 32x11.5x15 on stock jeep rims and using the slip on spacers at 7/16 wouldn't go larger due to thread and I don't like the ones that add new threads due to added stress i dont trust them for every day use or off road use at all. My tires rub a little at full lock on sway bar but not much

Also I didn't get a full 2" TT bolts are maxed and the rubbing on front bubber was a lot w the 32s

I'm running 32x11.5x15 on stock jeep rims and using the slip on spacers at 7/16 wouldn't go larger due to thread and I don't like the ones that add new threads due to added stress i dont trust them for every day use or off road use at all. My tires rub a little at full lock on sway bar but not much

okay so with the 7/16 spacers I should be good then with the 32s?

Also I didn't get a full 2" TT bolts are maxed and the rubbing on front bubber was a lot w the 32s

How did you fix that??

ex3.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex1.jpg

ex.jpg

sorry the pics came out so small but heres mine with the 31s and the last photo was before i put them on

ex3.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex1.jpg

ex.jpg

sorry the pics came out so small but heres mine with the 31s and the last photo was before i put them on

That looks pretty good and thats with the 5/16 slip on spacers?

okay so with the 7/16 spacers I should be good then with the 32s?

Depends, he said he was running jeep wheels. So if the mounting pad of the jeep wheel is thinner than your wheel of choice, then no 7/16s spacer may be too much. Remember the rule for lug bolt/nuts. 1 to 1 bolt diameter to threads exposed after wheel is bolted on.

Campoli, the bolt on spacers are solid. Usually made of a high grade aluminum alloy with high grade hardware. And with them being hub centric to the factory hub and to the wheel, they're plenty strong enough and nothing to worry about.

Depends, he said he was running jeep wheels. So if the mounting pad of the jeep wheel is thinner than your wheel of choice, then no 7/16s spacer may be too much. Remember the rule for lug bolt/nuts. 1 to 1 bolt diameter to threads exposed after wheel is bolted on.

Campoli, the bolt on spacers are solid. Usually made of a high grade aluminum alloy with high grade hardware. And with them being hub centric to the factory hub and to the wheel, they're plenty strong enough and nothing to worry about.

Okay thanks for letting me know about that, I didn't even think about that.
So do you think the bolt on spacers I put in the link at the top would be wide enough to where I wouldn't have to trim the bolts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back