• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacers...how big can I go?

hardywo

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT Stick
I know a guy at a machine shop who's willing to make spacers for use with my factory rims and my 31x10.5's-he just needs me to provide him with the measurements. What's the biggest anyone's gone with spacers/backspacing? I met a Jeeper who had wheels with 3.75" of backspacing. I was thinking of going for 4" spacers to get a nice mean and safer (as far as rolling/flipping) stance. Let me know what you think...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running spacers like that is likely to cause quite a bit of premature wheel bearing wear....plus they put additional stress on the studs.

I'm running 33 x 12.5's on the factory rims with 5+" of lift and the truck is still stable (my dd in bad weather). You'll be fine on 31's without spacers.

Well, truthfully, it really feels fine as far as tipping...I just really like the look of the wider stance. How much do you all think I can get away with on the spacers? As far as the trail, I'll think about it, but my cousin and I are going to go to Green Ridge State forest in a few weeks. That's $15 a year, but I haven't seen any additional charges anywhere yet.

i used to run a 2 1/2" spacer but only for a couple months...i had some premature wear on my studs(in fact i snapped one on each side after the spacers were removed) so i wouldn't go any wider than that...just my .02

Well does it matter whether it's wheel spacers or backspacing? Like I said, that Wrangler had 3.75" of backspacing and he had had no problems at all with them. I was just looking at it with a tape measurer and thinking that I might, just possibly, be able to settle for 4" spacers.

well if you want the stance that wide go with 3.75" back spacing and see what you think, then if you must, get no more than a 2" wide spacer...in my opnion if you go with a 4" spacer you will have problems in the long run(bearings, studs, etc.)

Well does it matter whether it's wheel spacers or backspacing? Like I said, that Wrangler had 3.75" of backspacing and he had had no problems at all with them. I was just looking at it with a tape measurer and thinking that I might, just possibly, be able to settle for 4" spacers.
Do you know how much backspacing the stock wheel has? Because if you put a 4" spacer on a stock wheel, then that probably means that overall, that wheel will have zero or negative backspacing.

Get a set of black 15x8" steelies with 3.73" backspacing, IMO that would be a better route in the long run.

IMO: You drive a lifted truck, drive it like a lifted truck and take the turns and the highways slower -- thats a lot safer than breaking a few studs and plowing through pedestrians.

Backspacing/spacers

Do you know how much backspacing the stock wheel has? Because if you put a 4" spacer on a stock wheel, then that probably means that overall, that wheel will have zero or negative backspacing.

Get a set of black 15x8" steelies with 3.73" backspacing, IMO that would be a better route in the long run.

IMO: You drive a lifted truck, drive it like a lifted truck and take the turns and the highways slower -- thats a lot safer than breaking a few studs and plowing through pedestrians.

(Don't worry, ever since I got the truck, my gf thinks I drive like her grandpa, but a lot of it is to save gas)

So what exactly is the difference between backspacing and wheel spacers (other than the fact that backspacing is part of the wheel and spacers are separate pieces)? How would 3.73" of backspacing be any better than say a 3.73" spacer? Also, how would I figure out the width of a wheel (15x8) short of having the tire removed and then measuring? I might be getting some wheels from someone selling there X and I wanted to know the width. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

The difference is all wheels will have some sort of backspacing... I have never even seen wheel spacers wider than 2.5inches... The best way to do it is to find a wheel with the backspacing you want. Most rims will be stamped what size they are, some will be metric also.

I suggest that you do a lot of searches on this website and others to research what you want to do to your truck. It really pays off to research it first instead of just doing it right away (ex. you doing your SOA and now trying to lift the front to match)

Back