• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Spacers

Rammer24

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, Saskatchewan,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
Anyone have some wheel spacers on their Explorer? I was thinking of slapping in some 1 inch to push the wheels out a bit to give it a wider stance and make it look bad A$$. Although I was wondering what sort of negative effect they would have on my bearings? I have some 265/75/16's on and I was told that it might kill my bearings to have the spacers on. Any thoughts guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as the spacers are the type that also have the centre bore lip to support the weight of the rim, they will be fine. Even better is the bolt on adapters (not just slide on spacers). By using a 1" bolt on adapter on a 3rd Gen explorer, it is much the same as using a 0 offset (or 2nd Gen rim) on it - there should be no extra pressure on bearings - BUT the important bit is to make sure that whatever you use has the centrebore lip to support the rim - the wheel studs only hold the wheel on, they do not support any weihgt.

I found an example or two - luckily on the same page! You want the one in Pic B, not Pic A.

Pica A (wheel spacer):
wheelspacer1a.jpg

Pic B (wheel adaptor):
wheelspacer2.jpg

Full article:
http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/wheel_spacers.htm

Any photos available? I like my stock rims, but I agree, it would really make the X hot if they popped out about an inch more. How about cost and where to get these?

Any photos available? I like my stock rims, but I agree, it would really make the X hot if they popped out about an inch more. How about cost and where to get these?

I couldn't help you for info for USA, but google may? Just search on "wheel adapter" - I found this site:

http://www.adaptitusa.com/

I have 1.25 bolt on spacers and haven't had any negative effects. I love them and they gave that extra width I was looking for.

I have 1.25 bolt on spacers and haven't had any negative effects. I love them and they gave that extra width I was looking for.

Got a picture?

Yup here you go....
EX002.jpg

EX001.jpg

EX003.jpg

I don't have any before pics but I think you will see the difference.
I got my set of 4 on ebay for about 120 bucks including shipping. I recommend 1.5" or more so you dont have to grind off the stud.

Anyone have some wheel spacers on their Explorer? I was thinking of slapping in some 1 inch to push the wheels out a bit to give it a wider stance and make it look bad A$$. Although I was wondering what sort of negative effect they would have on my bearings? I have some 265/75/16's on and I was told that it might kill my bearings to have the spacers on. Any thoughts guys?

I ran 1.5 inch spacers on the rear of my 94' for 40,000 miles or so. Never had any issues except a balanced looking ride. I will be using those spacers on my 05'. I'm thinking the 1.5 inch on the rear and 1.25 inch on the front. This will give me the wider stance and the room to go wider/taller.:D

Just keep in mind that spacers will put more stress on the bearings. You're moving the point of force out away from the bearing, which puts more stress on the bearing. The thicker the spacer, the greater the stress.

If you're going to go the spacer route, use ones like Picture B in post #3. Much safer. Also, in some states, it's illegal to use spacers on the roads.

That looks awesome! Do you have a model # or link so that I can ensure to get the right ones? I think that makes a HUGE difference w/o getting new rims.

By the way, any issues w/ speedo ride, handling, etc? thanks

I dont have a model number or link but just look for 1.5" wheel spacers with a 5 on 4.5 lug pattern. I ran 2" spacers on my sport trac for almost 3 years without problems. I wish I would have went back with the 2" spacers again. Those really beefed up the stance.

Back