Wheel spacers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel spacers

Oh, okay.

A roll-over will also cause premature wear to clear coat when the wheel is mounted on the roof, fyi.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LoL if I roll it... An ugly spare will be the least of my worries.

Getting back to spacers...
I suppose I could put a spacer on the spare tire and the steel part of the hanger would then dig into to spacer, protecting the wheel.

And a tight spare tire cover could protect the wheel underneath the truck as well as behind the truck. Just make sure it drains!

I think Bkennedy had the simplest solution, but I couldn't bring myself to cut off the studs on my rig.
Just thought you could also cut out a circular piece from a rubber mat and cut a slit to fit around the cable to protect the wheel from the bracket. If you have a larger that stock tire with a tow hitch, it's not fitting in the spare area anyways so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

I've got a 265/75/16 size spare, and a hitch. It all fits nicely.

And I have considered the rubber or plastic piece before. Just a cut up piece of floormat would work.

Spray some bedliner on the spare cup. Or live dangerously like me, and roll without one............naw I'd coat it shim the cup with plastic........,,,Then shrink wrap the whole deal. All bases covered.

The studs are long enough with 1/4" cut off of them. They will be fine. Don't put a spare on the roof, it changes your center of gravity considerably and Explorers don't need any help in that department. Also, its a total pain to drag a tire onto the roof, and looks stupid. I did it for a few off-road trips many years ago and realized the Explorer had more body roll with the tire up there, and it rubs the paint off the roof. I really never cared how bad a spare tire looks until I put it on display on the rear bumper.

Spacers; I have them, but really don't like them. Just another thing to fail at the worst possible time. I am eventually going to get the C clip eliminator kit for the rear axle and order the new shafts in the correct bolt pattern.

Coo. I remember reading a post where some members had trouble fitting anything over a 30" depending on the hitch design.

Don't put a spare on the roof, it changes your center of gravity considerably and Explorers don't need any help in that department. Also, its a total pain to drag a tire onto the roof, and looks stupid. I did it for a few off-road trips many years ago and realized the Explorer had more body roll with the tire up there, and it rubs the paint off the roof. I really never cared how bad a spare tire looks until I put it on display on the rear bumper.

Well that settles it!

Time to go out of retirement and push a broom around for a few weeks.

Broom+Overtime=New Swing Out=Win:party:

LoL Yea, I'm applying at O'reillys as we speak...

Spray some bedliner on the spare cup. Or live dangerously like me, and roll without one............naw I'd coat it shim the cup with plastic........,,,Then shrink wrap the whole deal. All bases covered.

Why stop with the spare?

Raglan-Street.jpg

LOL yep, that'd keep it all safe!

And I have considered the rubber or plastic piece before. Just a cut up piece of floormat would work.

Oh, that tire is too big for under the back, it's about 31.5" yes? I just barely got a 275/60/17 to fit under mine, and that's a 30" tire. Now that's with a trailer hitch, which limits space right behind the center of it.

BTW, the spare tire "hook" won't hurt a wheel, it goes through the center and lays against the hole with two arms/sides that hold the rim center. The cable I worry about, that it doesn't break eventually.

It fits... that's all I can say. It's there right now.

It fits... that's all I can say. It's there right now.
Excellent, that means there's more room than some have reported. I had to cut part of my trailer hitch away, about 3/8" of the back of the receptacle.

Back