• Register Today It's free!

wheel stud replacement question

moab_dan

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado springs
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I have a 98 2wd. A wheel stud is broke on the front. I know how to replace the stud but how do I get the abs ring off? Is it part of the grease seal?
From a search in the forum I read it needs pressed on/off. Can a pulley puller get it off?

Thanx
Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what do you mean by ABS ring?
when i've replaced wheel studs i just pressed them out .. with a bfh... and pulled the new ones with a few washers and the lug wrench. i'm guessing hammering them out isn't the prefered method, but it worked for me. could have used the vise instead i guess.

His truck is 2wd, while i've never really looked at the 2wd front end i'm guessing it's a little bit different.

Sorry I didnt get back sooner. Been a little busy.
On a 2 wheel drive the abs "ring" looks like it's part of the wheel bearing seal. I'll just go to autozone and look at a new wheel bearing seal. That should answer my own question!

Thanx for the replies.
Dan

Keep us posted

The idiots at NTB cross threaded one of my lugs, and then told me I would have to pay for it because someone had made that mistake. They torched the stud off since it was useless. When I pointed out they had removed my tires one week before and were the ones who accidentally cross threaded the stud, they changed their tune.
Anyway, I need to get that replaced, and (like I need to believe them anymore) NTB mentioned it was a dealer-only part. Please let us know what you do / purchase so I can replace this last lug.
Thanks,
Karl

kragens or any of the auto parts stores have them..... they lie..... and its their mistake so you need to tell them they need to order the part and replace it free of charge.....

Re: Keep us posted

Originally posted by karl_burns
The idiots at NTB cross threaded one of my lugs, and then told me I would have to pay for it because someone had made that mistake. They torched the stud off since it was useless. When I pointed out they had removed my tires one week before and were the ones who accidentally cross threaded the stud, they changed their tune.
Anyway, I need to get that replaced, and (like I need to believe them anymore) NTB mentioned it was a dealer-only part. Please let us know what you do / purchase so I can replace this last lug.
Thanks,
Karl

Karl, which NTB was this ? I'm a mechanic @ NTB in Salem, NH (not a tire slinger like the "idiot" that broke your stud).... I've never heard of it being a dealer part.

If youve got a problem, i can give you the # of the guy to talk to in the Boston district... i assume you went to Waltham or somewhere close to there?

Eric

Damn I would stay far far away from that NTB... First off Studs are not a dealer part hell it's kind of suprising they dont have something like that in stock. Wheel studs are easy to replace, they're literally a 1 dollar part i'm suprised they gave you a hard time. I'm suprised they have to torch off the old lug, they must have done a really good job screwing it up.. :rolleyes:

mixed reviews of my NTB

This was the NTB in Allston. Got my 31s there in March 2001, and that's when all this happened. I went back, and they gave me the dealer only part story.

I'll replace this one this time. My experiences thus far with NTB have been 50/50. Sometimes they've been great, and sometimes all but helpful.

I just found out there's an NTB closer to my house, but they couldn't do my alignment b/c my rims are the rounded type?!?! Anyway, Allston did my alignment last weekend, and it still pulls to the right. I know they can do it perfectly, because my truck drove straight as an arrow after they did it the first time! I'll just have to go back. Again.

Eric, thanks for the offer. If I have any more trouble, I'll drop you a line.

Karl

i just bought my stud at Advanced Auto it was under 5 bucks for it and they had it on stock

Similar issue here....long story,but shop didn't torque the lugs down and they backed off enough that by the time I noticed it and stopped, my BRAND NEW Procomp 15x10 wheel had been wallowed out and all five studs on the left rear tire were shot.

Had to tighten them enough to get home and when I tried to get them off I sheared 3 of the five off. $0.98 each at Autozone, a big hammer and a grade 8 washer with lug nut for a press, lots of elbow grease and voila, all five replaced. (Make sure it is an extra lug nut, it will probably be shot when you are done....)

Now back to that shop to somehow "prove" it was their fault. Anyone ever heard Ron White's comedy sketch about Sears doing the same @#$@#$ thing? Funny. Scary. But funny.

DIY - because the only person I trust to work on my truck now is ....me.

same here man the shop didnt tighten the driver side lug nuts down and i left after paying them over 400 for the new tires and a couple days later my back driver side tire fell off and then my front driver side almost fell off and snapped one stud off

Back