• Register Today It's free!

Wheels- Aluminum or Steel?

Freshmeat

Reaction score
City, State
Denham Springs, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger STX SC
As it sits I have 15x8 steel wheels on my Ex. I picked up some aluminum 15x7s from a Jeep today for a buddy, but he really needs a 15x8. I'm strongly considering swapping to the 15x7s with the intent of reducing my rotational tire weight. I wheel with the guy who swaps my tires so the cost to swap would be minimal. Tires are 34x10.50x15 LTBs.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a rough shot with the wheels sitting in general position, currently wrapped with bald 33s...

d2a5add3.jpg

do it. i love those rims. i have a set of those but theyre on a 5x5.5 pattern and 15x10... i always wondered what theyd look like on the sploder.. ;-)

they're only 7 inch and they're off a jeep! steel ones look better too.
only advantage is much lighter and change is fun.
i'd go with the steel ones cause they're better than my stock ones

change is fun.
That's also admittedly part of this- it feel like something is missing. I think aluminum wheels will resolve that. Worst case I paint them black and still have lighter rotational weight.

Make sure your front hubs will fit through the center of the Jeep wheels. Some Jeep wheels have a smaller center opening... Jeeps with a 5x4.5" wheel bolt pattern do not have locking hubs.

That's a good point to make for others. It was the first thing I checked and all is well. I had the tires swapped over yesterday. With the added backspace I now get a slight rub on the radius arms at full lock but that's nothing to worry about. It brought the tires in a bit and generally looks much better to me. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon.

I don't think that reducing rotational weight is a good enough reason... they're 34" tires... they are freakin heavy. The only thing that may cause you a problem (providing the hubs fit) is putting a 10.5 tire on a 15x7 wheel.

They may bulge a little and wear unven. How much lighter are the rims? I personally think the Heep rims are really ugly... but if they were black they may look a lot better.

personally i prefer steel wheels cause the last time i did some serious off-roading i hit a dry riverbed's bank doing about 60 all that happened to my truck was a slightly bent front rim. the tire shop i took it to said that if i had alloy wheels on it i would have cracked the wheel and very likely bent the suspension plus my chrome steel wheels cost 45 apiece

KP.... I've run 31x10.50's on stock wheels with no abnormal tire wear. Just sayin' :)

Personally I'm with joedirt.. I have outlaw2 aluminum wheels (with 33x12.50 AT tires) for the street and light use wheeling, and a set of 15x10 steel wheels slated for chunky MT tires. The steel wheels and tires are for rough stuff.

Aluminum don't bend very well.. it breaks! Steel bends! heh

It's 90% mud down here, so it's incredibly rare to bend/crack a wheel.

By the time I have a trailer to haul it to the rocks it'll have a HP-D44 and 37s.

I saw a set of carbon fiber rims somewhere if you're really worried about rotational mass but im not sure if they're street legal and they definately aren't cheap

Back