• Register Today It's free!

Wheels and Tyres Question.

Alpha4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4.0
Hi there. first post:) ,

I have a UK 99 Explorer 4.0 OHC.

What I would like to know is, can I replace my OEM, sort of dished 'oval hole' alloy wheels with ones from the 'North Face' edition Explorer (they are more like Thick Spoke alloy style)? Current UK tyre size as fitted is 255/70/16. The North Face wheels are also 16" ones, but I just want to make sure that the axle/hub end fittings are the same on my 99 and the NF.

If I can fit the NF wheels, will they take a 255/70/16 set of AT2 'Grabber' Tyres?
Cos I like the look of those.

Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Alpha4
Jumping the gun here a bit.... but..... If you get the NF alloys, what will you do with your alloys? Are they in good nick or are they corroded? If they are in good condition and you are looking for a reasonable price I could well be interested in swapping them for some cash lol lol

Keith

I've got a set of 5 chrome jobbies i wouldn't mind shifting for cash, one of em has a brand new tyre on em...

Si

Thanks Si, Ours is the later alloy wheels type and I really like the look of them, so I would prefer to keep the same wheels but ours are starting to corrode a bit and thought this might be a good opportunity to replace ours without faffing about having ours refurbished!!!!!

Keith

Kands,

Yes my current ones are in good nick. No bubbles, pitting etc. 4 Goodyear Wranglers on too (with about 3mm tread on).

I would be happy to exchange them for a little cash :D .

You would have to wait a couple of weeks or so, because I have to get the NF ones refurbed and tyred up.

How's that sound? We'll agree a price when I've got the new ones sorted. I'm up in the Midlands, so there'll be some carriage costs.

Sounds great Alpha4.......
I am in the Midlands also... not really in a rush for them so whenever just let me know matey lol and we can sort it out....
Thanks for the offer

Keith

@ Kands,

Ok I've got my new wheels/tyres on now. Are you still interested in my '99 alloys?

Tyres are on with a bit of wear left in 'em. Alloys are in good nick, but there is the odd tiny blemish here and there on them. Chrome endcaps all present.

Need to get rid of them quickly (no space to store them). I'm just outside Wolverhampton in the West Mids.

pm me if interested. We'll discuss price then.

Regards

PM sent Alpha4

Keith

Back