• Register Today It's free!

Wheels still wobbling

steadyhand

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Ok so I've had a wheel wobble problem with both rear tires on my 99 Mountaineer, RWD, auto, 5.0.

I noticed the vehicle was swaying side to side in the rear so I jacked it up and let the rear wheels spin and sure enough I could see both rear wheels wobbling, but the driver side was the worst.

I have sinced replaced:

tires
shocks (including axle damper shock)
bushings
axles
Axle bearings and seals
rotors (including pads and brake shoes)

I still have wheel wobble. It isn't as bad since I installed new axles but it is still doing it. The new axles had the biggest improvement. Each of the parts I've replaced needed replaced anyway. It looked like the previous owner had never done any maintenance. The rear does feel

The only part I haven't touched that I thought might effect this problem is the leaf springs. The shackles look ok though. They don't appear to be loose, broke, or shimmy when the tires are spinning.

Is this just normal for this vehicle to have a wheel wobble in the rear?

If the axles got bent at some point couldn't whatever did that have tweaked the wheels at the same time?? You say you changed tires, but are they still the same wheels that were back there?

I forgot to mention that. I had the wheels checked at the shop when the new tires were put on. The mechanic said the machine detected some wheel hop from it, but nothing that would fail a test. So he didn't think the wheels were bad enough to be causing this problem.

Just to make sure though, I swapped my front wheels to the rear and put the rear wheels on the front. I still get the wobble, even after swapping the wheels.

I had a bent axle once on one of my Ex's but never had a wheel wobble other than that one. I really can't think of anything other than a tire, wheel, or axle cause a wobble. I think if it were mine I would just not worry about it unless it got worse or uncomfortable. I drove the bent axle around for months not knowing until a friend was following me and told me, holy cow it was really bad too!

Back