Wheels! Wheels! Wheels! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheels! Wheels! Wheels!

The time has come to order some new wheels. My '01 is black, but I can't decide if I want to completely murder it out or leave a few chrome/polished accents. Either way I go, it'll eventually get some 31s or 32s to aid with light offroading. It's my DD, so I'm not looking to do anything crazy.

Here's a picture of the X as it sits now:
DSC00712.jpg

Here are the options:

US Wheel Daytona - $253.90
black_steel_wheels.jpg

American Racing Baja - $398.00
162562802_tp.jpg

ION 158 - $459.00
Ion158.jpg

Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 8069 - $373.96
ProCompXtremeAlloy8069.jpg

Dick Cepek DC-1 - $431.96
DickCepekDC1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i picked the daytons because if it were my truck i would pick those as if you destroy one some how, they're cheap to replace. My rims (stocker 16 steelies) are so bent up it's getting very fun to rebalance them at work. damn rocks haha.

My other choice would have been the pro comps, they provide a little more bling, but at a much more expensive price tag.

Good luck!

Justin

Keep the votes coming. I had the AR Bajas on my last Explorer and I kind of feel like they are the safest bet because I already know that I like them, but I'm not sure I want them again because I'd like to maybe try something different this time. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys and the idea of applying bedliner to the chrome on my bumpers. I might need to seek the services of ol' Turdle to powdercoat the centercaps gloss black. Actually that brings me to another point. Would my factory centercaps look good powdercoated black or should I go with the pushthrough design that come with most aftermarket wheels?

Here's another question:

Should I go with a 3.75" BS or a 4.00" BS. I know the widely suggested BS for a 15x8" wheel here on the board is 3.75", but a 1/4" isn't that much. Does it really matter?

I'm asking because I'm now considering Cragar Soft 8s or the Pro Comp Rock Crawler copies. The Cragars are about $19 cheaper per wheel, but only come with a 4.00" BS, whereas the Pro Comps come with the recommended 3.75" BS, but of course cost a little more.

I'm asking because I'm now considering Cragar Soft 8s or the Pro Comp Rock Crawler copies. The Cragars are about $19 cheaper per wheel, but only come with a 4.00" BS, whereas the Pro Comps come with the recommended 3.75" BS, but of course cost a little more.
When I was shopping wheels I was looking at all kinds of fancy ones. I was at my buddy's tire shop and we were going through all the different fitting issues that were known about the various rims. I finally just said; what about Cragar soft 8's 16x8 and BFG AT's 33x12.5x16. My buddy just looked up at me and said "Oh yeah, those will work fine".

My point being, after going through all the shopping, picking and pricing, at the end of the day I went with what is pretty much the defacto standard and never looked back.

As far as the back spacing, sorry I can't answer that for you. They fit my 02 ranger fine and I've had just a tad rubbing on the inside of the tire, but the conditions have to be JUST right and I haven't even had that since they got broken in.

I just placed my order for the Pro Comp Rock Crawlers. Thanks for the votes everyone... even though the wheels I bought weren't a choice!

I sure do. They're very similar to the Cragar Soft 8s, but the backspacing is 3.75" on the Pro Comps as opposed to 4.00" on the Soft 8s. Also, comparing pictures, the holes appear slightly smaller on the Pro Comps. It's not by much, but I think I like the smaller holes better. (You can quote me on that if you'd like, haha.) I've also read on several forums that the Pro Comps have better welds, but then read on others that Cragar manufactures the Pro Comps as well as a US Wheel copy.

Here's the Pro Comp version:

WheelProCompSeries98.jpg

Here's the Cragar Version:
crr-397_w.jpg

Here's a picture of someone else's Explorer that I'm using for inspiration. I actually flipped the picture horizontally so it would be pointing the same direction as some others I have for wheel comparison. I've also Photoshopped out the white letters on the tires and painted some chrome trim pieces black.

ExplorerGoal.jpg

I think I'm going to need to join the ZAPVs. Whattayathink?

Oh yeah, for inquiring minds, the total price shipped to my door for 4 wheels AND a Magnaflow XL3 muffler was only $288. Thanks 4WheelParts! The wheels alone would have only been $235.

I like the AR Baja's and the ION's.

Off road in style :p:

Back