When 1st Oil Change- Stay w/Blend or Go All Synthetic | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When 1st Oil Change- Stay w/Blend or Go All Synthetic

How do you deal with oil changes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
While I still have 91% left on my oil life in my new 2012 EX Limited, I am already mulling over whether to stay with the 'blend' of synthetic/petroleum oil that Ford delivers in it, or to go to fully synthetic??
The service advisor told me he would stay with the blend as it's what Ford recommends.
So what are you all doing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First oil change at about 1,000 miles.
Upgraded to full synthetic.
Changing the oil at about the 7-7,500 mile mark now.
I've had already 4 oil changes in 25,000 total miles.

@7500 changed to full synthetic.

I stayed with the blend and change at 6k

I went with synthetic at 3k and will stay there when I get my next one at 8k.

I would also either stay with the dealer (as they keep records) or keep detailed records if you do it yourself (e.g. mileage done at and probably receipts for filter and oil).

I've heard reports from other car companies where they refused to replace defective engines because the customer couldn't prove that they changed their oil every required interval. I believe that the other car companies eventually relented - but thats not a fight I want.

Changed at 6000km (3700mi) with dealer blend and will again at 14,000km (8700mi). Because I don't drive that much and have quite a few short trips, I will follow the 6 month or 8000km (5000mi) oil change interval. Have had the Ex 8 months and have just 6098km (3789mi) on the odometer.

Back