• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

When 1st Oil Change- Stay w/Blend or Go All Synthetic

How do you deal with oil changes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
While I still have 91% left on my oil life in my new 2012 EX Limited, I am already mulling over whether to stay with the 'blend' of synthetic/petroleum oil that Ford delivers in it, or to go to fully synthetic??
The service advisor told me he would stay with the blend as it's what Ford recommends.
So what are you all doing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
First oil change at about 1,000 miles.
Upgraded to full synthetic.
Changing the oil at about the 7-7,500 mile mark now.
I've had already 4 oil changes in 25,000 total miles.

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
@7500 changed to full synthetic.

JustB_Rad

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I stayed with the blend and change at 6k

jrmexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I went with synthetic at 3k and will stay there when I get my next one at 8k.

I would also either stay with the dealer (as they keep records) or keep detailed records if you do it yourself (e.g. mileage done at and probably receipts for filter and oil).

I've heard reports from other car companies where they refused to replace defective engines because the customer couldn't prove that they changed their oil every required interval. I believe that the other car companies eventually relented - but thats not a fight I want.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Changed at 6000km (3700mi) with dealer blend and will again at 14,000km (8700mi). Because I don't drive that much and have quite a few short trips, I will follow the 6 month or 8000km (5000mi) oil change interval. Have had the Ex 8 months and have just 6098km (3789mi) on the odometer.