When installing a new dash cluster does it need programmed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When installing a new dash cluster does it need programmed?

grizzlyxjim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
Just bought an 00 explorer for 450 bucks. So glad to have one again. I am excited to get back into things Just needs some minor things like the doors need new handles hatch won't open other minor crap. Actually runs really really well. The odometer is out and the shift indicator is off to the point I can't put it in park, going to replace the dash cluster but listings on Ebay warn they need reprogrammed by a dealer, I thought they were plug and play. Can anyone verify this either way.

It sounds like you might just need to replace the ODO bits inside your current cluster?

You can adjust the gear indicator needle

The clusters are plug and play but you MUST get the correct one
I believe 99-01 should all be the same for you, 98 had some mid year changes, so as long as you get 99-01 it should plug right in and work

I did the shift indicator on my mounty the little white bracket broke. I just figured it needed a new dash cluster for the Odometer. I did not know I could do individual parts on it. I will look into fixing the gears

Back