When is a high output alternator needed? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When is a high output alternator needed?

i'd take the 260 over the 220 as well. i'm sure the 260 will still supply enough at idle, and the extra 40 amps would definitely be nice to have. i know in my cases, i dont do any parking lot pimpin unless i'm giving a demo...which i'll just rev up a bit, and i dont play loud at stop lights or anything so i would definitely gain more with the extra 40 amps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd take the 260 over the 220 as well. i'm sure the 260 will still supply enough at idle, and the extra 40 amps would definitely be nice to have. i know in my cases, i dont do any parking lot pimpin unless i'm giving a demo...which i'll just rev up a bit, and i dont play loud at stop lights or anything so i would definitely gain more with the extra 40 amps.

I scooped this off of Iraggi's eBay store:

260 amp Amputator

Iraggi-260-output_curve.jpg

220 amp Amputator

Iraggi-220-output_curve.jpg

I almost went with the 220 because those are pretty good idle #'s, assuming they're accurate. ;)

anyone got preference on what high amp alt is good or best?

anyone got preference on what high amp alt is good or best?

You decide what's best for you. I just went down this road over the past few days and there are LOTS of choices. What is `best`is pretty subjective.

I posted a link above, but since you may have missed it, check out my quest here. Lots of companies listed. After that, Google like crazy. Lots of good stuff out there. Only you can decide what is best. :cool:

alright tots mi-goats =p

i think i've seen that chart before...but forget which alt it was for. the 220 amp alt is definitely nice at 500 and 600 RPM's. but seeing as how an alt spins about 3 times as fast as an engine idles...i'd say the 260 is definitely the way to go. glad to see you go that route :) hopefully you have a good experience with dom and his alt :) i'll keep an eye out for your feedback from him as i'm sure/hope you will post it

Check into a police package alt they are typically a higher amp that a civilian alt. I used one in my USACi SQ world Champion Crown Vic. Since your alt went out I would get a larger one as long as you are replacing it. I wouldn't get a larger one just to get one. The amperage you are pulling isn't that much.
In the System I put in my 03 Focus wagon was 2 US Amps USA150s capable of pulling 80 amps each. I never needed a alt upgrade, I just did the Big three (all 4 gauge), upgraded the alt to battery wire(4 gauge), and used 1/0 power wire. never had a problem.

Tim

if you did the big 3, why not use 1/0?

but i mean for the engine upgrade. the battery to alt, grounds, etc.

but i mean for the engine upgrade. the battery to alt, grounds, etc.

I've seen several articles that say 4 gauge is sufficient for the Big Three. DB Electrical sells an alternator wiring kit for their HO alts that includes 4 gauge. I guess it can't hurt to use heavier wire.

I did think that a good quality 4 gauge was better than what was there. 1/0 just seemed like over kill on the big three.

Tim

i see. just curious...i've always been told to use 1/0. maybe it's just the basshead in me lol. i'm all about overkill :) 4ga is definitely an improvement over stock tho.

i see. just curious...i've always been told to use 1/0. maybe it's just the basshead in me lol. i'm all about overkill :) 4ga is definitely an improvement over stock tho.

I'm going to use 1/0, "just because". I notice a lot of peeps recommend it, but with no real basis for recommending it. I have seen people throw out scientific geek talk when recommending 4 ga. My eyes glaze over when I read that stuff. :D

my simplest explanation is 'try drinking a milkshake from a coffee straw'. it will let your car overall 'breathe' better from it, electrically. i always say if you're gonna do it, do it big. i have a few runs of 1/0 in my car now, and when i do the new system in my new truck (which will be a long time coming :( ) i'm going to do even more. probably a run of 1/0 of pos and neg per battery. 4-5 ish extra batts? it's gonna be fun :)

My system is so basic and never lets me down. I have high quality wire everywhere and no electrical noise whatsoever. My lights don't really dim with the stock alternator, but started to with the old Mr Alternator when it started crapping out. The Iraggi is definitely a bot of overkill, but as we stated earlier, I don't have a problem with overkill in my electrical system. I guess that's why I decided to go 1/0 with my Big 3 wiring. Wasn't overly expensive since I don't need much and my Stinger terminals already accept it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back