When to run Interactive Vehicle Dynamics (IVD) Initialization Sequence? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When to run Interactive Vehicle Dynamics (IVD) Initialization Sequence?

Rob_I

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU 3.7 NA
When do you need to have IVD Initialization Sequence preformed?

After an alignment or front end work? Brake work? Change tires?

There is very little information out there as to exactly when it's needed. Aside from having a blatent AdvanceTrac related work like a yaw sensor.

Hopefully someome in the know can enpart their wisdom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When do you need to have IVD Initialization Sequence preformed?

After an alignment or front end work? Brake work? Change tires?

There is very little information out there as to exactly when it's needed. Aside from having a blatent AdvanceTrac related work like a yaw sensor.

Hopefully someome in the know can enpart their wisdom.
What is this process? Never heard of it

In very simple terms, it tells your vehicle how to make AdvanceTrac work right.

Not to be difficult, but if you've never heard of it, how can you advise when it is or is not needed?

Anyway, back to my initial question...

Thanks in advance.

Not to be difficult, but if you've never heard of it, how can you advise when it is or is not needed?

Anyway, back to my initial question...

Thanks in advance.
Because Costco doesnt do that when they put tires on. Its not in the Ford Service manual that I downloaded that had instructions for brake replacement. Replacement rotors or alignment have nothing to do with stability control. My alignment shop charges 70 bucks. They aren't messing with stability control.

I wouldn't worry about it. State why you are asking and someone else might chime in.

I kept it vague on purpose because I was after a very specific answer not general mechanical advice.

So to answer your question, I am trying to diagnose a potentially damaged/corrupted ABS control module. Before I go replacing it, I thought I'd investigate a software or programming issue first, after having exhausting all other options.

I am getting an intermittent ABS U0415. All the modules have the latest configs (I checked via IDS 120) and have been monitoring it. Most importantly and why I AM NOT going to not worry about it, I occasionally have what feels like AdvanceTrac/stability control/AWD "very" slightly engaging wheels differently. No lights, just the stored code on occasion and occasional driveability oddity.

AllData didn't provide anything useful for diagnosis other than a potentially faulty ABS control module. And when or if I replace the module, I'd need to run the IVD Initialization Sequence to properly calibrate the AdvanceTrac system.

So as you can see, I'm not just playing around with Ford software, I'm after something specific.

Is that In-Vehicle Diagnostics (IVD)?

No, Interactive Vehicle Dynamics.

More or less telling the vehicle which wheels to give more power to, to increase traction and prevent skidding. Since the AWD is a pretty complex computerized system , some of it goes through the ABS module. And since I'm noticing slight driveability issues where it feels like some wheels are slightly grabbing(?) I wanted to make sure that ABS U code wasn't due to a faulty programming value...corrected by running the IVD sequence.

The literature says that if ABS module is replaced, or some other unspecified front end work is performed, the sequence needs to be run. My question is, what are those criteria. And I'm assuming it is possible that a shop may run this sequence if an alignment has been preformed. It can be done through higher end scan tools, or in my case IDS. Unless you've watched a shop do an alignment from start to finish. Or maybe the shop SHOULD do this and they don't. Hence my question!

If anyone is REALLY curious about how your traction control system works, why it works, and when it needs attention, read this article. I'm still looking for input on people who have done this. More specifically, does this need to be done on an alignment rack (steering wheel needs to be center, etc) or just flat level ground. Things like that.

And to see the screens of the sequence, scroll down to the bottom. Granted this is for a hacked IDS version (not what I have just for illustration purpose), but it shows the screens.

Also, from my reading, it seems every time you update the PCM calibration (or various other modules like ABS, RCM), replace modules, or even change the clock spring, you need to do this.

So, still considered unnecessary? I'm thinking recalibration of the sensors that detect exactly how the car is moving and in which direction seems important and not to be skipped. Because we don't need these right?

Lateral Acceleration Sensor
Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor
Pressure Sensor
Steering Angle Sensor

Because Costco doesnt do that when they put tires on. Its not in the Ford Service manual that I downloaded that had instructions for brake replacement. Replacement rotors or alignment have nothing to do with stability control. My alignment shop charges 70 bucks. They aren't messing with stability control.

I wouldn't worry about it. State why you are asking and someone else might chime in.
Adding trailer brake controller

I have both a 2018 Explorer and a 2019 Taurus. Both have had new tires multiple times and multiple four wheel alignments. the shop that does my alignment work has never done an IVD Initialization Sequence. Neither vehicle, of which both are AWD, has had any codes for the ABS system or anything like the driving issues you are describing. Are you should none of your wheel speed sensors are bad, or giving a false reading, which could cause what you are describing. I have had front and rear brakes replaced on both vehicles multiple times, I have replaced a front lower control are on the Taurus. I have even taken off the front bumper covers multiple times. Also had a 2016 Taurus, same stuff.

I have had the APIM replaced on the Taurus (3times) at a dealer, and they did not do a IVD Initialization Sequence. (bad APIMS, even the new one from Ford).

Don't just go by the codes and what AllData says, you need to proof out the diagnosis.

Back