When using installing Diamond Cut clear corners (2nd gen). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When using installing Diamond Cut clear corners (2nd gen).

Definitely consider using those silver frosted bulbs. Looks so much better than the "egg yolk" look, or even Silverstar disco purple (unless that's the look you're after). I still plan to paint the connectors to the bulbs silver, because they're sort of a yellow colour and do take away from the effect.

I scored my bulbs at Superlumination. He's a great guy to deal with.

28419celly10.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah i painted the connectors for the lights silver also. i plan to get some silver star bulbs to clean up the look. right now i just have amber ones in there..eww

96limitedX said:
yeah i painted the connectors for the lights silver also. i plan to get some silver star bulbs to clean up the look. right now i just have amber ones in there..eww

I had Silverstars in there for a bit and didn't care for the look. I much prefer to "non-coloured" approach. I'm sure you'll like it, then you won't. From what I've seen, you change the look of your Ex on a daily basis. ;)

celly said:
I had Silverstars in there for a bit and didn't care for the look. I much prefer to "non-coloured" approach. I'm sure you'll like it, then you won't. From what I've seen, you change the look of your Ex on a daily basis. ;)

naww not me..lol :D i had amber bulbs with silver hi-temp paint in there. but i decided i dident like that so went and got normal amber bulbs. i thought i looked alittle better.

so now im stuck w/this untill i can find 4 silver star bulbs
103757.jpg

but the silverstar bulbs are the look im going for ;)

I have 4 silver stars if you want to buy them, but for some reason two light a slightly lighter shade of amber than the other two, probably cuz I bought them at different times so I guess they are different batches, I've been told I'm crazy for thinking they are different, my fiance and firends think they all light up the same, but I've been known to notice things other people don't. :)

I've also got the same set up as celly, and will stick with that I think.
It really does look good, got the bulbs from the same guy too.

At any rate if you want my silverstars 96, let me know.

off topic, Celly whered u get that stuff for ur grille?

Afboy143 said:

I second that...truck looks great, how did you prep that bumper for paint?

I agree w/Celly - i've got SS's installed and just got in the mail today my Chromax bulbs - haven't installed them yet, though, but i can count on a better look, imo

check out www.superlumination.com, or www.autolumination.com, (think they're the same) - i got chrome 916s for the upper corner, and chrome 3157s for the side & upper blinkers - all for under $25 shipped - and after i spent $40 on the Silverstars...

i know my truck is differnt, but i have clears on my yota... what i did to get rid of the annoying yellow tinge to the housing from the bulb was to use a standard white bulb, jsut the regular replacement ones... this way the housing and everything looks clear, and when it lights up for my turns, since it isnt very pretty to look at, looks much like a stock yellowish look to it... also in my corner lights, i have 194 LED yellow bulbs... they always look clear on the housing until they turn on....

SilverStars - to - All-Chrome Conversion

25243DSCF0014.jpg

25243DSCF0019.jpg

25243DSCF0013.jpg

25243DSCF00201.jpg

I must note, however, that the chrome bulbs are not nearly as bright as the silverstars. We'll see how they are come nighttime, but in the day, they are not. Also, the corner bulb i purchased (superwhite chrome 916 to match output from silverstar headlights) does not seem to be bright enough either, but again, we'll see tonight.

Just the info I was looking for :thumbsup:

I've got clear lights in my diamond corners currently, but was looking for a silver coated amber

Afboy143 said:

I scored the grille inserts off eBay. (yes, inserts therefore no cutting). Do a Google search for "Street Scenes Speed Grille" and you'll come across them. "Draft" has the identical setup, as do others on the site.

I really like the effect. Haven't seen a billet grille that really appealed to me, and too many of them involve cutting the existing grille which wasn't what I was after. I had a saved search on eBay for several months before I got my hands on them.

They are somewhat easy to put on. Just have to disassemble the grille shell a bit to install the upper pieces. Surprisingly, the lower valance piece was a pain in the butt to install. Climbing under my Ex, I just couldn't get at the right angle to install the clips. I ended up ditching the clips and have it on there now with a few zip ties. The uppers are held in place with the clips provided.

I am definitely pleased with the effect. I always admired those grilles. Just needed the right set to come across at less than retail. ;)

ATLExplosion said:
I second that...truck looks great, how did you prep that bumper for paint?

My bumper's just stock Explorer Sport grey. Came that way. Must be the lighting that makes it look different. I was shooting into the shade.

BuffaloXplorer said:
I must note, however, that the chrome bulbs are not nearly as bright as the silverstars. We'll see how they are come nighttime, but in the day, they are not. Also, the corner bulb i purchased (superwhite chrome 916 to match output from silverstar headlights) does not seem to be bright enough either, but again, we'll see tonight.

I noticed the same thing in the day, but at night they look just fine. Nice looking setup on yours. I'm more or less going for the "look" in the day time. At night, all setups look pretty much the same.

BuffaloXplorer said:
Still have the Silverstars? LMK

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

celly said:
I noticed the same thing in the day, but at night they look just fine. Nice looking setup on yours. I'm more or less going for the "look" in the day time. At night, all setups look pretty much the same.

Yeah, the daytime look is most important :D At night they look good too!

'Turns out that the ultra-white chrome corner bulbs (916) are very ultra blue - not sure if i got the right ones shipped to me - but they look OK. The amber turns are definitely not as bright but look real good anyway

...then again, this is all after quite a few beers while watching the NCAA finals :confused:

Rodeo Joe said:
Still have the Silverstars? LMK

Joe

Yup, still got'em - PM a reasonable offer - they're about 3 months old but good as new ;)

Back