When will Chevy catch up? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

When will Chevy catch up?

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
In the past six months or so we have seen the new 2005 "retro" Ford Mustang, the new Dodge Charger and the new Pontiac GTO (part of GM I guess).

All these cars are basically revamped new sports cars with some actual muscle. All the while Chevy has turned their Chevelle, Nova, and Imapala's into family sedans and halted production of the Camero.

I am not a huge fan of current Chevy's but really do like the mid to late 60's Chevy and the 55-57 Bel-Airs.

So when are we gonna see a new retro Chevy? Or have we, and I've just been under a rock? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Isn't the SSR supposed to be their "retro" vehicle? I hear the Camaro is coming back too.

Iowa Hick

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
If you ask me the Charger is just a retro name, its a pretty ugly car. And the first gen GTO just looks like a Grand Am on Steroids, but they were kind of rushed to production so I'm hoping the second gen will look more like the classic GTO's.

JGAMBLE

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Wainwright, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994xlt
GM turned their back on their customer years ago and let the bean counters run the company. They're just now barely beginning to listen to what the people want, but it'll take a while, if ever. Unfortounately Ford seems to be following this path with cars like the Fairlaine concept, and their triton series of engines. Though I do admit the new mustang is the coolest new car outta dearborn in over a decade, I'd be most interested if it had an old school 5.8

:chug: :chug:

Iowa Hick

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
I'd be most interested if it had an old school 5.8

I hate describing engine displacement with liters, you want to give me a cubic inch translation on that one?

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
Jake Howk said:
I hate describing engine displacement with liters, you want to give me a cubic inch translation on that one?

Its the metric system.

Is the SSR that new "truck"? Doesn't it have a fairly tame engine it though?

The new v-8 mustangs will have the 4.6 liter in em. I guess that translates into about 284 cid, but produced 300 hp.

Iowa Hick

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer
Unfortounately Ford seems to be following this path with cars like the Fairlaine concept, and their triton series of engines.

Ford discontinued a bunch of thier best engines when they came out with the Triton's. The biggest mistake they made was replacing the 460 with the V-10. I hated to see the 300 go too.

JGAMBLE

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Wainwright, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994xlt
4.6 = 281 cubes. And with 4v heads, dohc and all the money ford's dumped on it 300hp isn't all that exciting. The 5.0 has a much bigger aftermarket following because it's hp level is unobtanium. If ford had put some time and money into the old 5.0 and 5.8, they'd have a corvette killer on their hands. Tuners like Roush, and Saleen do it all the time.

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
MyExpWork said:
Is the SSR that new "truck"? Doesn't it have a fairly tame engine it though?

Only come with a 5.3 with translates to a 327 ci. They could have at least put a 350 in it :rolleyes:

JGAMBLE

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Wainwright, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994xlt
actually the chevy 5.3 = 325. they seem to be afraid to touch the #327 again. Guess they know they can't produce that good of an engine again.