When you mat the gas at highway speed does it shift once twice Need help ASAP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When you mat the gas at highway speed does it shift once twice Need help ASAP

steve63933

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4X4 4.0L
At 55mph if you floor the gas does your explorer kick down into passing gear in one shift or does it shift once and add about 1000rpms give or take then shift again into the lower gear.

The reason I ask is that I had my Tranny rebuilt and mine will shift once bring the rpms up about 1000 and then shift again and raise the RPMs like a full down shift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry that I don't have the answer for you but I'm gonna guess that it somewhat depends on how much loading you have and the incline. I would think that if the computer determine that there isn't enough torque to maintain or increase speed that it is possible to not only shift out of overdrive but to drop down into 3rd.

BTW, how much did it cost you to rebuild your tranny? Was it a complete rebuild including a new torque converter?

If I am drive on flat ground the transmission does what I put in the orginal post.

The shop that done the rebuild says there is nothing wrong with it and it is the computer deciding what gear is best but it seems like every since we got our explorer at about 32,000 miles if you matted it at 55mph it would just shift down one time and get the RPMs up really fast unlike now.

I got mine completely rebuilt wtih new electronics and tourque converter for $1435 tax and all.

I've heard that some folks have to have their tranny reprogrammed or firmware upgraded after a rebuild. From what I recall some folks have paid around $40 to the local Ford dealer to have this done. Ask the tranny shop if they did anything with your firmware. Where about in the country are you?

I have had ford update my firmware for $45 and the problem still is there, if it is a problem.

I live in the bootheel of Missouri.

The Transmisson shop owner says there isn't a problem, he said it had to do with what the computer tells the transmission to do.

The shop is considered one of the best around so I am going to take his word on the transmission being fine but I plan to take it to another shop and see what they say to ease my mind.

When I checked the fluid it was nice and pink.

Back