Where can I buy a replacement seat belt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where can I buy a replacement seat belt?

TexasBlonde

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 2 WD
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 that needs a new drivers side seat belt buckle, clasp, female receiver or however you want to describe it. I have seen others who have needed them and found them at a reasonable price.

I have a son that can install it. I need the one that has the electric plug the controls the warning light and I understand it also controls the air bags.

I have gathered the same piece works for '95-'97 Ford Explorers or Mercury Mountaineers.

What am I doing wrong when I search for this part? I would prefer a new one but really need to keep the price from $25-$50. I will look for a used one at local junkyards on Monday. I just do not want to have to replace it in two weeks or two months.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've probably got one, can you get me a picture of the one you've got currently?

Si

Definitely get a junkyard part if price is a concern. I replaced mine several years ago thatway and it's been fine ever since. A tip - don't worry about color. You can reuse the color coordinated "sleeve" off your existing buckle on the new one. Your son will need a pretty big male torx socket (I forget the size) to get at least one of the bolts loose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLORER-SEATBELT-BUCKLE-SADDLE-TAN-tan-seat-belt-drivers-side-/360667371330

Above is a link to it on ebay. There are two for sale on ebay, but the ads are a little too hinky for me. One yesterday showed 3 available and 3 sold. The other showed 4 available and 5 sold. Today it is showing 1 available and 8 sold. How can you sell 7 more than what you have?

I am in the process of trying to find one through local wrecking yards. I really wish one was available new at a reasonable price though.

I forgot to say the TorX T50 bit plus a flat head screwdriver was needed to remove and install the belt. I just bought a box of bits for $16 w/tax. I know I had bought a box of these bits probably over 15 years ago, but with two boys and a husband they have long gone to the lost tool heaven in the great beyond. :D

The secret to having avoid this problem is to keep the inside of the seat belt lubricated with WD-40, or your choice of liquid lubricant. There are two small springs that ride against a plastic cam and if they get dry, it will break the cam and then it's new seat belt time.

I got mine at the Junk Yard for $10, Make sure you get the right one though, there is a metal, and a plastic one, mine needed a metal one. The best way I found to replace it is to remove the 4 bolts that hold the seat in, tilt it slightly and then take the 2 10mm bolts off that hold the seat belt to the railing, then slide it off, once you remove the plastic stop.

Mind is metal too. No luck at local junk yards and both said they cannot put that part in their locator service. I guess I need to call them once a week and see if they have received one.

Be sure to check the width of the male part and the female opening. Mine snapped after getting caught in door and I went and got just the strap and ratchet parts with male connector... All installed, went to put it on and the male connector was wider than the entire buckle.

Be sure to check the width of the male part and the female opening. Mine snapped after getting caught in door and I went and got just the strap and ratchet parts with male connector... All installed, went to put it on and the male connector was wider than the entire buckle.

ahhh yes, always good advice. you got it caught in the door? ouch! lol

ahhh yes, always good advice. you got it caught in the door? ouch! lol

LOL, I'm as big of a perv as they get and I totally just typed that out without thought to how I was wording it.... Had someone else post it, I would have thought the same....

Note to self.... catch up on much needed sleep... you're not thinking clearly....

Back