• Register Today It's free!

Where can I buy the bsi

jd92887

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
I just got an 04 Xlt, and there are a few problems.
I can still shift in and out of park, but it is harder than it should be, I searched and found Taft it is most likely the bsi(Brake Shift Interlock) I was wondering where I can buy one at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BSI? the park brake solenoid?

In my years working on various brands and models, I have yet to see a park solenoid get lazy or plain fail.

I would pay attention to the angle/tension on the steering wheel. usually tension there is likely the issue.

Rob

The Brake Shift Interlock.

make sure your brake light switch is not the fault. I had the switch go bad and brake lights would flicker and cause it hard to get out of park.

Here is the tsb i found for it, i am now just wondering where i can buy the interlock at?

FORD: 2002-2005 Explorer
MERCURY: 2002-2005 Mountaineer

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2005 Explorer 4dr/Mountaineer vehicles, may require a greater effort to move the gear selector lever (shift lever) from drive to park. This may be due to a time delay with the brake shift interlock (BSI) pin retraction.

ACTION:
To service, replace the BSI switch. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1 Remove the two (2) fasteners supporting the instrument panel knee bolster from below the steering column and remove the cover (Figure 1).
2 Remove the three (3) fasteners supporting the steering column lower shroud and remove the cover (Figure 2).
3Remove the three (3) wiring bundle carrier fasteners from the bottom of the steering column to allow movement while removing the BSI switch. It may be necessary to release the connectors from the multifunction switch (Figure 3).
4 Remove the BSI fasteners (T-30 on the side and T-20 on the bottom) (Figure 4).
5 Pull the BSI tab on the bottom of the column downward to help free the BSI from the column housing.
6 Break the two (2) side tabs off the BSI by the white wiring connector (Figure 5).
7 Push the locking tab on the white connector towards the wiring to release the connector from the BSI. Be careful not to damage the connector or wiring. If the connector does not free easily, a very small flat screwdriver may be used to help lift the locking tab (Figure 6).
8 Connect the wiring to the new BSI. Ensure all clips are fully engaged to prevent the connector from pulling free.
9 Reinstall the BSI onto the steering column and reinstall fasteners (Figure 7).
10 Check BSI function. With the key in the accessories or run position, press the brake pedal. The BSI pin should retract on brake application, and spring up one (1) second after releasing the brake pedal. Repeat several times.
11 Reinstall fasteners to connect wiring bundle carrier to the steering column. Make sure all connections to the multifunction switch unit are secured properly.
12 Reassemble steering column in reverse order. Ensure rubber gap hider around shift lever is properly seated on the shroud.
13Cycle the shift lever from park to drive and drive back to park several times to verify improved shift effort.

1L2Z-3Z719-DA BSI Switch part number

Back