Where can I find heavier rear leaf springs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where can I find heavier rear leaf springs?

jjue

Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member
Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Nissan Titan CC LE
I'm looking for some heavier rear leaf springs for my '97 Mountaineer. To me, it seems lighter than other 4-door Explorers, but I want something that won't bottom out or sag as much with a moderate load. Also, I need the heavier spring for better 1/4 mile ETs due to wheelhop problems. I know that I need to change pinion angles as well, but I'm looking for heavier stock height rear springs.

Or, should I start looking at the Roadmaster Active Suspension as it counter acts any unnatural spring action without affecting the ride?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use an add-a-leaf it should bring you back to stock ht. , stiffen up the rear , and it's cheap . just a thought

Ditto on the Addaleaf. Cheap & very effective. I added the lightest ones and it is like a different truck now.

If you are looking for heavier custom leafs overall, you will need to go to a custom spring shop.

You drag that thing?!?!!? If you must, and wheel hop is a problem, Summit has $40-$50 traction bars that you can bolt snugly to the spring.

Hmmm, haven't thought about add-a-leaf springs yet, but it is an idea, and cheaper than Roadmaster Active Suspension.

Yes, I actually have drag raced it at the track once, when it was stock. I'm still waiting for for my roommate to finish either the 302 with Canfield heads or the 351W with TFSR Twisted Wedge heads and Edelbrock EFI intake for his '67 Mustang so that we can run to the track again.

I'm just trying to make a good all-around SUV that can keep up with new ones. I still manage to find myself pulling someone out of some mud, gravel, or a ditch every once and a while, and in an effort to save my Wrangler AT/S's, I recently purchased a set of Mountaineer wheels so that I can mount drag radials on one of those pairs. It's just fun to tune for more power and better fuel economy at the same time. I guess that when my fuel economy starts to drop, I'll stop, but by then, I should be able to afford a '67 or '68 Mustang to race anyway.

what add a leaf is every one using?
how much lift ?
thanks in advance

Originally posted by J. Kennedy
If you must, and wheel hop is a problem, Summit has $40-$50 traction bars that you can bolt snugly to the spring.

I've got the Haynes Explorer manual and it mentions that the 5.0 Explorers have an "anti-windup bar" that goes from the frame to the top of the axle housing. Is this the same thing as a traction bar, just lighter duty? or what? Just curious really.

Originally posted by BislamJoe

I've got the Haynes Explorer manual and it mentions that the 5.0 Explorers have an "anti-windup bar" that goes from the frame to the top of the axle housing. Is this the same thing as a traction bar, just lighter duty? or what? Just curious really.

According to my roommate, it almost looks like a 4-link suspension that is done with leaf springs and the anti-windup bar instead of coil springs. He mentioned that I could lower the part that goes to the frame so that it would move the vehicle center of weight transfer more towards the rear when launching. Of course, he also said to install 2-degree pinion shims.

Back