Where can I order new rear bumper L bracket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where can I order new rear bumper L bracket?

mikepier

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
15 XL
Hi all, got rear ended last week, and my bumper got bent down. Could not believe an old Nissan Sentra that hit me at 5 MPH actually was able to bend the brackets and frame, but I managed to get the old bumper off, and straightened out the frame. The L brackets were pretty bent. I ordered a new bumper through rockauto, and it said it came with new brackets and hardware. It was the last one they had, so I jumped on it for $377 plus tax and shipping.

When I received it , the box was in pretty bad shape. Thank god the bumper was not damaged. but it was missing an L bracket. Rock Auto was pretty cool about it, they said since it was the last one, they could not locate another part, but gave me a credit for $40.

I managed to bend and hammer back one of the brackets straight ( man that was tough, even when putting a torch on it) , its not perfect, but I got the bumper on and it looks good, but I still want to replace the bracket. I looked high and low online for this bracket, but cant find it. Any idea where I can find it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At those prices I wouldn't buy new brackets. Check your local craigslist. Someone is always parting out Gen II Explorers. Any Explorer or Mountaineer '95-'01 should use the same rear bumper brackets.

I just recently got rear ended as well. 3 cars. I was the last. Tarus hit a Civic doing 50 and the civic hit me. All this was at a stop light. Long story short, Frame was bent really pretty bad and the bumper brackets themselfs had bent. So, I took of the bumper on my truck and brackets off my truck. Bent it back. Had a buddy weld it back up. And I took my bumper brackets off an old explorer I had sitting at the house. Didn't cost me a dime. Moral of the story here is. Junk Yard. Im sure you could get brackets for less then $20

Great thanks!

Great thanks!

I actually just stumbled on ford's website, and punched in my VIN, and was able to get the parts number off there too.
Its cheaper on ebay though, but I have a question.
It shows both the left and right bracket as the same part number 11787.

So should I assume these are the new part numbers? There is no left/right?

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1999&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#Search
Great thanks!
11787 is only a reference number, not a part number. The national Fordparts.com site does not list the actual numbers in their diagrams. That's the reason I posted the first link. AFP, lists actual Ford part numbers that makes searching the COMPLETE part numbers easy. If using Google, click images for pics. Example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=F87...ved=0ahUKEwjGyrLf0pfSAhUC4WMKHSKiDlcQ_AUIBygA

Ok got it, but very confused now.

The part F87Z- 17912 appears to be the internal brace within the bumper, not the actual L-bracket for the right said as you indicated in the first post. It appears the right side bracket is F87Z-17787-AA
and the left is F87Z-17788-AA.

And what do they consider the right side? As if you are facing the bumper ? ( passengers side?)

When my wife's Mountaineer got rear-ended a few years ago, I bought 2 used bumper brackets for $10. I didn't even bother with the at-fault party's insurance.

Ok got it, but very confused now.

The part F87Z- 17912 appears to be the internal brace within the bumper, not the actual L-bracket for the right said as you indicated in the first post. It appears the right side bracket is F87Z-17787-AA
and the left is F87Z-17788-AA.

And what do they consider the right side? As if you are facing the bumper ? ( passengers side?)
STOP overthinking this. When using your left turn signal, which side blinks?

Click links in post #6 to see pics or click images if using Google. Easy, yes?

STOP overthinking this. When using your left turn signal, which side blinks?

Not sure, let me check..................

Just kidding, thanks.

AGREE with Koda....Any salvage yard has these. Cost almost nothing. Available immediately. No shipping. You can even paint and polish them, if you want.

Good luck.

Back