Where did Apten go? I cant get ahold of them! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where did Apten go? I cant get ahold of them!

Chew_12

Working
Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
So my chip crapped out on me. I have had it for 1.5 years. I try calling them but all I get is there answering machine. Anyone have any contacts with them or anything. They wont return my messages. Do you guys have an advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldn't suprise me if they are done. Too much competition now with better reputations. They owed me two free reburns because they didn't burn one of the FEW things I asked for, but I wouldn't send it to them again if they paid me. It would probably take a couple of weeks to get back too :rolleyes:

So am I just going to have to cut my 275$ loss? Is there something else I can do?

How long has it been since you tried to contact them? How exactly did your chip go out too? Maybe it's your service port on your computer

I tried to contact them today, last week, and the week before at different times. My chip will work for about a week then my car will hardly run. Once I take the chip out it is fine. I do have a stock setting on the chip, and if I switch it to that it still has the same problems. What are signs of hte service port going out?

Running bad like you said. I doubt the chip just changed itself, or it might be the switch cable.

can you not get someone else to burn the chip?

can you not get someone else to burn the chip?

I really didnt think of that. So anybody else that burns Diablos would work? Anyone know of a good place?

In all honesty, your going to have a HARD time. I got one reburned last year and it took 2 months to get back. I'd try to see if the switch cable went bad first. The newer companies are using SCT now.

Remove the chip, clean all the copper contacts, see if that works, you said the problem is intermitant.
When an I.C dies, there dead.

Yea i did clean it the contacts. The chip looks fine. The Switch from what I can tell also looks the same as when I got it, same with the cord. What is the I.C.?

what is involved in burning your own chip?

definatly way too much to make it worth the $$$

but on the other hand if you could then, hrmm it could be fun.

Chew_12 said:
Yea i did clean it the contacts. The chip looks fine. The Switch from what I can tell also looks the same as when I got it, same with the cord. What is the I.C.?
Intigrated Circuit, the chip itself, as I recall there was an issue with when inserting the PCM, was a crossbar that could **** the chip at an angle.
I had that problem with mine, after time it would shift the chip and lose contact, was a plastic bar, I cut it out, something to ck on

I want to get my chip reprogrammed also. What are my options? Apten's website is "under construction."

CG why do you think they merged?

When I started having problems with my chip, I contacted Brandon at Apten to upgrade to a flasher. The box they mailed it in said MD Mototsports/Apten Performance, and that address is the old Apten shipping address.

Plus I found this page:

Modular Depot Forums
Modular Depot Modular Depot Forums Archive > Parts Department > MD Motorsports and Apten Performance

http://forums.modulardepot.com/forumdisplay/f-59.html

Chew_12 said:
CG why do you think they merged?

Actually Mod Depot bought Apten's name because of the Cobra and Lightning stuff they were doing. Brian left and went to SCT and is now the general manager there. Brian contacted me in doing so and I began my own chip tuning company with his help and knowledge and have since expanded out myself.

If it's a Dialbo chip they're right, the only option you have is to have it reburned by a Diablo dealer or atleast checked out. Or I could give you a trade in on a new chip.

Actually though you'd be alot better off with a flash tuner of sorts, like the X-calibrator flash tuner. This way you won't have to worry about connection problems or anything of that nature. I won't sell a chip to a Explorer or Ranger owner for just the reasons your having.

Just let me know if I can help.

Thanks, Doug. www.Bamachips.com

Thanks guys. Doug what kind of trade in could you do? I will definately have to check some things out first before I consider buying another chip/flasher.
Spindlecone - that definately could be a problem, I will have to look into that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chew_12 said:
Thanks guys. Doug what kind of trade in could you do? I will definately have to check some things out first before I consider buying another chip/flasher.
Spindlecone - that definately could be a problem, I will have to look into that.

Hi Chew,

The only trade in type I could offer would be $75 credit towards the price off of a new chip.

Actually though after reviewing your Avatar, do you have a 93 Explorer? If so then all I could offer is a chip as the tuner's only work on the 96 and up Explorer's.

Just shoot me an email at... Bamachips@charter.net

Thanks, Doug.

Back