Where did the AC go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where did the AC go?

Elliots

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2003 Explorer, Eddie Bauer, 4 litre:

The end of last summer I noticed that every now and then the air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. Some days it would work fine (nice cold air), then we would be driving down the road and the cold air would turn to warm air or non-cold air. Finally toward the end of summer, there was no cold air at all. The blower works fine, and when the air was cold, it was nice and cold.

Before I take it in, I would like to see if there might be something I could do? No AC didn't really matter in a Montana winter, but now it is starting to get warm out.

Someone suggested a thermostat module of some sort may have gone out? I have no idea. Unfortunately, I am not real mechanical.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Elliot

see blend door fixes... im so sorry that that is probably your problem. Do it yourself even if your not that mechanically inclined, instructions on here somewhere- with pictures! Its a 800-1100 fix at ford... that was my quote. never got it fixed because it stopped acting up. will do it some day when I have a full free saturday.. but i cant even change my own oil so... we'll see how that turns up. Alot of helpful people here that can guide you. One of my favs is BigRhondo- knows EVERYTHING :)

You can try adding a can or two of Freon. When mine gets low i usually get cold on one side and warm on the other. I figure after 8 years or so, some of the seals are getting dry. . . I have rear A/C - there is a lot of plumbing under there.

Your air conditioning system is a sealed system and should never need to be recharged unless there is a leak. Topping off a refrigeration system is just way of getting around finding the leak and repairing it. Also if there is a leak you now have moisture in the system which will cause compressor failure if not removed. You must pull a vacuum on the ac system and with a leak that is not possible.
I highly advise that you have the system leak checked, leak repaired and properly recharged.

Back