• Register Today It's free!

Where do I start

mtnhigh

Reaction score
City, State
Dillon, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer Sport
So I'm a new member and a long time Explorer owner. I recently bought a 1995 Explorer Sport and I want to make it more off road capable. It is my daily driver but eventually it will just be my hunting,fishing, wheeling vehicle.
I did all of the normal things when I bought it. The tires were totally dry rotted so I just put a set of 31's on it. I've thought about a solid axle swap but being a newbie that seems pretty extreme. I would like to lift it just not sure if I should start there or with more basic stuff like cold air intake, rear lockers, body lift, new leafs/shocks. Any input would be appreciated

As a footnote. I just got back from Moab and watched the Jeep Jamboree. Good stuff. My goal is to go back next year with my Explorer

welcome!

explorers are very capable rigs with only a few mods. get the out of the box bolt on lift kit if you just want to trail ride.

but you will out do it very fast on anything hard.

sas is the way to go for sure. just my .02

but good luck and welcome. fyi look under the "off road tech forums" for all your answers

Just a torsion twist, shackles, maybe a body lift, and a rear locker and it will be fine. Fuel tank skidplate if it doesn't have one. I would add a front locker (Powertrax No-Slip is the only one for late model Explorers as far as I know) if you want to do Moab, although there is a video on YouTube of a guy doing Moab in a Crown Victoria.

Not that many people want to spend the money, but the Superlift kit will NOT work on '95 models because the torsion bar crossmember is welded to the frame. '96-up it is bolted to the frame and you use a drop bracket. Just an FYI.

Back