Where do the OEM fog lights mount to? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where do the OEM fog lights mount to?

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
So got into a fender bender a couple weeks ago and subsequently messed up the front pass corner of my bumper; Chrome bump pad got mangled, fog light broke off mounting point (but someone didn't break), bumper got some damage, headlight pill got pushed back a bit (not sure if studs broke or if header panel needs to be replaced, but not a big deal ATM since its just pushed in like 1/2") but somehow the grille survived (go figure).

My question is, where do the OEM fog lights mount to? I'm trying to put together a parts list to get this fixed and I'm lost as to where/how the fogs attach and what parts I may need to order to have this done. I know I need a new bumper cover, and probably a new fog light assembly, but not sure what else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a triangle shaped plastic piece behind the corner bumper cover that the fog light bolts to. I think it has 3 bolts. The fog light also has a single bolt that mounts to the bumper cover itself.

There's a triangle shaped plastic piece behind the corner bumper cover that the fog light bolts to. I think it has 3 bolts. The fog light also has a single bolt that mounts to the bumper cover itself.

So theoretically if I buy a new bumper cover it should have the mounts on it, correct?

I have the same situation with my 2000 Mountaineer. In looking at the broken fog light, it looks like my bumper cover may not need to be replaced. I say this because I found a brand-new replacement fog light (on ebay) for $33 that comes with the light, bracket, bulb and wiring. there are 3 nuts/bolts that hold the light to the bracket, but mine appears to have just broken the bracket and not damaged the b/cover. I wont know for sure until I crawl under there and check it out, but I suggest you do this before buying a new b/cover. Also, the chrome corner pieces for the b/cover are available through RockAuto. I replaced one on my '01 Explorer and they are not very expensive as I recall.

So theoretically if I buy a new bumper cover it should have the mounts on it, correct?

If it has holes for fog lights.. some didn't come with fogs.

I have the same situation with my 2000 Mountaineer. In looking at the broken fog light, it looks like my bumper cover may not need to be replaced. I say this because I found a brand-new replacement fog light (on ebay) for $33 that comes with the light, bracket, bulb and wiring. there are 3 nuts/bolts that hold the light to the bracket, but mine appears to have just broken the bracket and not damaged the b/cover. I wont know for sure until I crawl under there and check it out, but I suggest you do this before buying a new b/cover. Also, the chrome corner pieces for the b/cover are available through RockAuto. I replaced one on my '01 Explorer and they are not very expensive as I recall.

Your bumper is a bit different and A LOT more forgiving; had a fender bender in my 98 and the bumper just flexed and nothing broke; my headlight, turn signal, and header panel took a beating though.

My bumper cover has significant damage so I can't put a new chrome piece on it because where it screws in was ripped open. Bumper cover was already in bad shape from idiots backing up into it.

If it has holes for fog lights.. some didn't come with fogs.

Yes it has holes for fogs, because the ones I'm looking at also have the mounting slots for the chrome bump pads.

These are one of the few times I wish I had an XLT because I could just go pick up a bumper locally from a JY for cheap.

Fogs w/ mounts & wiring

I have a set of OEM fogs with mounts and wiring for a '98 XLT if anybody is interested. I think they fit all 2nd Gens with the rectangle hole in the bumper.

Chef Duane
Plano, TX.

Back