Where do you buy jacks, stands, power packs, and the like? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Where do you buy jacks, stands, power packs, and the like?

Couldn't find a place to put this question! Hoping to take a 400 mi round trip around a week from now, if I can get the wrinkles out of my plans and my Ex! Need to get a jack, jack stands, a tire inflator, maybe an extra battery for camping/possible jump start, later a trickle charger and small cooler. What do you like for jacks for instance? Walmart, Harbor Freight, somewhere else? Low budget but don't want something that breaks/is hazardous.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Harbor freight. They have stores in most larger towns.

Any jack stand "may" , very rarely, unsplit where the stamped metal meets and is welded. Inspect that area well. I suggest medium sized stands.

6 ton?

Small ones( 3 ton?) seem a bit too short, 12 tons are for lifted trucks, too big and heavy.
Someone check me on the ratings please.

A small compressor with battery clamps , don't really want to use a cigarette lighter cord. When filling a tire the compressor gets hot, makes sure it has a quick release for the air hose. The fitting will help rid heat from air hose. Cheaper unit will melt the hose.

A good bottle jack and chunk of 2x10 as a base for it is handy. A floor jack is good, but only for concrete. It may sink in warm asphalt. Beware. A good chunk of plywood as a rolling base for it could be double used as a Floor protector for hatch area. Extra floor mats to lay on, God forbid you have to, can go over that , then tools and luggage.

wheel chocks should be included on your list.

Thread moved to tools and garage sub forum for you

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
My power packs are Schumacher. I’ve got 3 and all are used quite a bit. Available at Lowes/Walmart. Mine has a battery, 400 watt power inverter, and an air compressor.

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
Harbor freight. They have stores in most larger towns.

Any jack stand "may" , very rarely, unsplit where the stamped metal meets and is welded. Inspect that area well. I suggest medium sized stands.

6 ton?

Small ones( 3 ton?) seem a bit too short, 12 tons are for lifted trucks, too big and heavy.
Someone check me on the ratings please.

A small compressor with battery clamps , don't really want to use a cigarette lighter cord. When filling a tire the compressor gets hot, makes sure it has a quick release for the air hose. The fitting will help rid heat from air hose. Cheaper unit will melt the hose.

A good bottle jack and chunk of 2x10 as a base for it is handy. A floor jack is good, but only for concrete. It may sink in warm asphalt. Beware. A good chunk of plywood as a rolling base for it could be double used as a Floor protector for hatch area. Extra floor mats to lay on, God forbid you have to, can go over that , then tools and luggage.

wheel chocks should be included on your list.

Thread moved to tools and garage sub forum for you
Aha! Hadn't found that forum! For tools, basically I have a lot of 3/8 drive sockets, few of them metric, a battery charger and cables for jump starts. LOL.

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
My power packs are Schumacher. I’ve got 3 and all are used quite a bit. Available at Lowes/Walmart. Mine has a battery, 400 watt power inverter, and an air compressor.
Will check into that multi purpose one, thanks.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Figure out how much lift you need and the budget for the jack. If it's something you're taking with you, an aluminum floor jack weighs a lot less than a high lift, all steel jack. I'm assuming you don't have a floor jack and would own one, then decide if you want a bottle jack too. Wood can be used under a floor jack as well as a bottle jack, though the bottle jack takes up less cargo area. If you'd take the bottle jack with you and the floor jack will never be carried around, then save some money with a steel one.

Jack stands, I've no problems with my Torin 6 tons, picked them primarily because they were on sale and I had an ebay extra $ off coupon at the time. Stands, I would not buy from Harbor Freight because they are the primary line of defense while working on a vehicle, while I'd sooner get a Harbor Freight floor or bottle jack as it only has to hold till the jack stands are in place.

Viair 88P is a high quality, battery connected inflator for the price. You could go cheaper but then the slower it inflates, the more you risk either overheating or having to stop after every few minutes to let it cool down.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
HF has alot of stuff. def check there first

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
For a portable tire inflator I prefer the Milwaukee 12V version; Amazon product

It's relatively very small, pumps fairly quickly, and is automatic. I don't recommend their batteries, unless you love giving a lot of your money away. I have several knock off batteries, they are 4ah to 6ah, and they cost me about $20-$30 each on eBay a few years ago. So you can get the tool and their charger for about $110, then add the batteries. I keep one extra battery in my mail truck all the time, at home I use the Dewalt 20v pump, it's great too, but about three times larger(not small).

Here's the charger also;
Amazon product

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Figure out how much lift you need and the budget for the jack. If it's something you're taking with you, an aluminum floor jack weighs a lot less than a high lift, all steel jack. I'm assuming you don't have a floor jack and would own one, then decide if you want a bottle jack too. Wood can be used under a floor jack as well as a bottle jack, though the bottle jack takes up less cargo area. If you'd take the bottle jack with you and the floor jack will never be carried around, then save some money with a steel one.

Jack stands, I've no problems with my Torin 6 tons, picked them primarily because they were on sale and I had an ebay extra $ off coupon at the time. Stands, I would not buy from Harbor Freight because they are the primary line of defense while working on a vehicle, while I'd sooner get a Harbor Freight floor or bottle jack as it only has to hold till the jack stands are in place.

Viair 88P is a high quality, battery connected inflator for the price. You could go cheaper but then the slower it inflates, the more you risk either overheating or having to stop after every few minutes to let it cool down.
I just ordered 2 of the Torin 6 ton double locking jack stands from Amazon - they had a big discount so it was $59 for the two! Thanks for the recommendation.! For the jack what weight rating? Only plan is to use it for my Ex, don't have a trailer (or hitch)

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
You should aim for a 2 ton jack for a reasonable cost. The price range will be large, the low end will be cheaper quality brands. My first floor jack was from HF, about $45 in the 1980's. That was cheap and just adequate, okay for using on solid flat cement etc, enough to lift a car and place a jack stand under it. My last was also from HF, a Lincoln at about $150, and it's almost as good now as when I got it in the late 90's. The high end jacks ought to have better wheels that will roll better than basic model wheels, that and the ram should be the long term reliability items to compare. But I don't think listings will tell you which are better or worse than others. Reviews are about the best way to compare them I'd guess.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Just a blanket compressor recommendation, I have a Slime brand air pump that is digital. You set the pressure and it pumps until it’s done, and has proven to be pretty accurate. It wasn’t expensive, and I’ve blown up full size tires at least a dozen times. Has a small light, as I assume they all do now a days.

I just recently killed my HF Jack. It had to be 20 years old, and died trying to load my old plow truck on a trailer for its final
ride. It was pretty ragged, but for what it cost I’m sure was a bargain.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I've used many 12 volt electric impact guns & jacks over the years. Unfortunately those cigarette lighter powered tools aren't designed for regular use. They are meant to be used when you're stranded on the side of the road. Just make sure that they work before you get stranded. A cordless 18 volt 1/2" drive impact tool or even a basic breaker bar should be enough to remove lug nuts to replace a tire. Many scissor jacks have a hex head bolt to drive it. You could use a ratchet or a cordless impact gun to drive it.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
I just ordered 2 of the Torin 6 ton double locking jack stands from Amazon - they had a big discount so it was $59 for the two! Thanks for the recommendation.! For the jack what weight rating? Only plan is to use it for my Ex, don't have a trailer (or hitch)
Bottle jack or floor jack? With a bottle jack you need to consider the shortest jack point you'd want to use, as well as the highest you lift you need, while with the floor jack, only the highest since these aren't low ground clearance. Higher tonnage jacks usually lift higher, all else equal, but the all steel floor jacks start getting heavy to transport, and of course need more storage area.

For portable use I'd much prefer a 2T aluminum, regular floor jack rather than a lighter duty, less stable trolley jack, but they have gone up a lot in price in the last few years.

For non-portable use I'd prefer a lower cost steel, higher lift (sometimes called low profile, often a low profile jack also lifts higher than an equivalent non-low-profile) jack 3T or higher, with the higher lift range letting you get more range out of the 6T jack stands. Some floor jacks would allow using a saddle extension for more lift but I don't know the best option for that.

Until a few years ago I was using a floor jack with about 16-17" lift and that was more than enough (but I don't know the minimum you'd need) to get wheels off the ground using the frame as lift points on my '98, but I replaced it with a 20" lift and those extra inches (once put on jack stands) make it easier working under it rather than just wheel-area work.

Bottle jacks, looking at what HF has, their 4T only has 14" lift which may not be enough. Their 8T, 17-5/8" lift with a 9" minimum height seems closer to the right size, though I've never tried to use a bottle jack on my '98, always had floor jacks with far less than 9" minimum height.

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Bottle jack or floor jack? With a bottle jack you need to consider the shortest jack point you'd want to use, as well as the highest you lift you need, while with the floor jack, only the highest since these aren't low ground clearance. Higher tonnage jacks usually lift higher, all else equal, but the all steel floor jacks start getting heavy to transport, and of course need more storage area.

For portable use I'd much prefer a 2T aluminum, regular floor jack rather than a lighter duty, less stable trolley jack, but they have gone up a lot in price in the last few years.

For non-portable use I'd prefer a lower cost steel, higher lift (sometimes called low profile, often a low profile jack also lifts higher than an equivalent non-low-profile) jack 3T or higher, with the higher lift range letting you get more range out of the 6T jack stands. Some floor jacks would allow using a saddle extension for more lift but I don't know the best option for that.

Until a few years ago I was using a floor jack with about 16-17" lift and that was more than enough (but I don't know the minimum you'd need) to get wheels off the ground using the frame as lift points on my '98, but I replaced it with a 20" lift and those extra inches (once put on jack stands) make it easier working under it rather than just wheel-area work.

Bottle jacks, looking at what HF has, their 4T only has 14" lift which may not be enough. Their 8T, 17-5/8" lift with a 9" minimum height seems closer to the right size, though I've never tried to use a bottle jack on my '98, always had floor jacks with far less than 9" minimum height.
All the answers are much appreciated! A bottle or scissors jack to take on the road-enough lift to change a tire or retrieve the spare - will have to take a square of plywood to put it on. Haven't measured it yet but the Ex seems to sit somewhere about 12 in. from the ground to the frame. Space is a consideration somewhat. Will be getting the wheel chocks, have already ordered 2 jack stands, would I ever need 4 of them? Stability is important, at home no level ground.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Jack stands are only as solid as the spot they meet the ground. Never use them bare gravel , asphalt, or dirt without a solid base of some sort to keep them from sinking down. More lumber.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
A bottle or scissors jack to take on the road-enough lift to change a tire or retrieve the spare - will have to take a square of plywood to put it on. Haven't measured it yet but the Ex seems to sit somewhere about 12 in. from the ground to the frame. Space is a consideration somewhat. Will be getting the wheel chocks, have already ordered 2 jack stands, would I ever need 4 of them? Stability is important, at home no level ground.
You don't need 4 chocks if you have one wheel off the ground, but I could see an argument for 3 of them. I would be VERY cautious working on un-level ground.

Retrieving the spare, should just lower on the hoist box cable without needing to lift the vehicle, unless your hoist box has failed. Mine failed a while back, so I opened and relubed and put it back on, still works AFAIK.

Something I forgot about till after you stated you bought jack stands, was this combo product, could be the easiest way to change a tire on the go, has the jack built into the jack stand:

Amazon product

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jack stands are only as solid as the spot they meet the ground. Never use them bare gravel , asphalt, or dirt without a solid base of some sort to keep them from sinking down. More lumber.
Right! Looking for some nice flat asphalt or concrete to park on.