Where do you get your replacement parts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where do you get your replacement parts?

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
Where do you guys like going for parts like alternators etc? Pep Boys, Autozone, Oreillys? In your opinion who has more parts available or in stock? Better quality parts and knowledgeable staff? I was a customer of Pep Boys for years. Lately they've let me down. I'm more of an Autozone type of guy now. Especially since I have a 24 hour Autozone down the block

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say go with whatever your comfortable with. I've never tried pep boys so cant really speak on that. The autozones and oreilly's around here are ok. I usually just stick with oreilly's because they have a bit more of a variation on parts, whereas autozone mostly just carries duralast or their own brand of parts. Either way I don't really rely on them to be knowledgeable, im only 21 but haven't had good experiences with them when it comes to asking questions. I usually just research online and go in knowing what I'm going to get to not waste time. Overall though I choose either rockauto or amazon when it comes to planned repairs and maintenance because of the prices, and they actually have really good customer service.

Pretty cool though that they have a 24hr autozone by you though, I wish they had that around here, since I tend to work on my car when the sun goes down and the kids are asleep.

RockAuto RULES with price, selection, and service, even with added shipping charges. Unless urgently needed or large core return freight prices are involved, local parts chain stores usually can't compete. Amazon ranks a close second, IMO.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350140

Rockauto, Amazon and a pullapart are my normal 3 spots. If an item has a core or I expect to wear it out ( like an alternator or starter) I go to Oreilly's. A friend and I have picked up enough stuff at orelly's they they got us a commercial account which helps too.

I stopped using Autozone when they started to switch everything to house brand stuff. Oreilly's has their house brand too but they also still have the normal brands too, plus there is an old timer who works there who knows how to use " the books" :)

~Mark

edit: Another reason I use Amazon is I buy gift cards for amazon at the supermarket which gets me fuel points for the gas pumps at the supermarket. I have $1.00 off a gallon saved up for this month (I already used some points)

I use advance & rock auto. But learn your own vehicle & run circles around what a computer tells the checkout guy.
I buy everything online & pick it up. I know what I need & don't need the BS.
For quality parts....it doesn't really matter when your talking about something so old. Most batteries & alternators & steering pumps & brake boosters & master cylinders are rebuilt & a lot are actually from the same parent company just re-branded.
If your looking for specific 1st gen stuff lmctruck.com is where to find it.

Thank you very much for these hints.

But are those guys at rockauto for real? They're cheaper than our local junkyard!

For readily available parts, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto or O'reilly. Rock Auto, Summit or 4wheelparts for internet orders.

Thank you very much for these hints.

But are those guys at rockauto for real? They're cheaper than our local junkyard!

Yes they are for real. Great prices, fast shipping and the part fits too!

Cool! Thanks.

On closer inspection, I need less parts for the truck than I thought. and then even cheaper...

Make sure what you order from rock auto is correct though. Their return policies can be a little stressful depending on the part. And do a Google search for rockauto coupon...Should come up with some 5% off ones.

If your not sure about a part listing at rockauto, you can call them.

I've seen them have parts listed wrong and they did take it back (was their fault, or manufacturer fault).

Don't forget to use the Rockauto discount code in the vendor forum (they keep updating the thread with a new code). In general the code comes out to be enough discount to cover ground shipping, or close.

If I could use gift cards for RockAuto like I do for Amazon I'd use Rockauto more when I'm not in a hurry. Using the gift cards allows me to get fuel points which in turn saves me money.. $250 order at amazon is $.50 off a gallon for fuel for me which I factor into my buying choices..

~Mark

+1 for rockauto! the only reason I haven't used them lately is because of my massive discount at local stores due to being a college tech student, but before that they were usually unbeatable.

Back