• Register Today It's free!

where does this connector go?

reansor

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I just changed my intake manifold and I labeled everything before I disconnected it. But I have a little short wire about 3 inches long that I labeled throttle body and I can't figure out where it goes. It's a thin wire with a tiny boot on it like a sending unit, and it can't go far because like I said it's only about 3 inches long, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what it goes to. I can't find or feel anything on the back of the throttle body and it's not a very long wire so I'm very perplexed. Anyone have any idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just changed my intake manifold and I labeled everything before I disconnected it. But I have a little short wire about 3 inches long that I labeled throttle body and I can't figure out where it goes. It's a thin wire with a tiny boot on it like a sending unit, and it can't go far because like I said it's only about 3 inches long, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what it goes to. I can't find or feel anything on the back of the throttle body and it's not a very long wire so I'm very perplexed. Anyone have any idea?
I should add that it's a 2003 Monty with 4.6L engine.

Tomorrow, Monday, I can and will. Thanks.

Actually, I would need your e-mail address I guess because I don't have a full membership and I don't think I can post pictures because of that.

You can post photos. You will need a photo bucket account or simular hosting account. Once photo is uploaded copy the address and paste in the forum. Wish I could help with your issue but the v8 is different. My v6 does not have a connection like what you are describing.

You can post photos. You will need a photo bucket account or simular hosting account. Once photo is uploaded copy the address and paste in the forum. Wish I could help with your issue but the v8 is different. My v6 does not have a connection like what you are describing.

I do have a Drop Box acct. I can use and will do so tomorrow. Thanks again.

Not sure if drop box will work. I use photo bucket. It is free and I have not got any unwanted emails from them.

Do you have the Plug in on gear motor for throttle by wire plugged in. I believe it's the throttle position sensor. It's on the backside (closest to firewall ) of throttle body. You should have two plugs plugged into throttle body one is large with red snap connector the other is more like a coil pack connector ( in regards to size ).

Scratch that your drive be cable. Most likely for your IAC or EGR. See if these pictures help
http://www.autoclinix.com/Ford/Ford_IAC.html
Thanks. I'll check tomorrow. Like I said, though, it's so short that it can't go far--even to the EGR. It's a maybe 3" long single wire with a tiny electrical boot on the end. It comes out of the same fixed wire bundle that the spark plug and fuel inj come out of. I'll take a pic and post my Dropbox link up tomorrow.

What's the IAC? I used to be a real motorhead back in the day, but this is the newest vehicle I've ever had to get into electronics on.

Go make a photobucket account. It takes a few minutes, but in the 10 years or so i have been using mine I haven't even filled it half way up. You'll need it in the future I'm sure.

Idle Air Control valve. It lets a metered amount of air bypass the throttle plate to maintain your idle speed. Here is the Motorcraft one Rock Auto shows for your 03 4.6:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=382754&cc=1414516&jsn=684

Thanks again, but I don't think that's it. This wire go somewhere near the rear of the throttle body cause I labeled it rear throttle body when I disconnected it and it's a little thin wire with a tiny electrical connector boot on it like you would see on a sending unit or something like that. It's not a plug Aura plastic socket. It's not running well but I got codes back for open circuits on 2 fuel injectors and spark plug malfunction-- nothing else so far. Like I said I'll post a picture on my Dropbox site since I don't have a full membership tomorrow and post the link.

You think it goes to rear of throttle body or intake plenum? The EGR is mounted to rear of intake plenum and has a small wire with boot (vacuum line but looks electrical ish) it's clearly seen in above link that I posted. We need a picture or a more accurate description. Is it colored? Is it actually a plug or boot? Have you ran the engine and if so any CEL or idle issues?

You think it goes to rear of throttle body or intake plenum? The EGR is mounted to rear of intake plenum and has a small wire with boot (vacuum line but looks electrical ish) it's clearly seen in above link that I posted. We need a picture or a more accurate description. Is it colored? Is it actually a plug or boot? Have you ran the engine and if so any CEL or idle issues?

Very poorly right now, but when I start it I can get it to fire up but the idle automatically jumps to almost 5000 RPMs by itself and then settles down 2 about 2000 with a rough idle but it runs smooth at high RPMs. Again I'll send a link to a picture of it tomorrow.

So it's on firewall side of throttle body and to left of black plate or 4.6l plate (intake plenum) correct? You wouldn't be able to see it in this picture? Just want to clarify the details.
ThrottleBody_zpsirl69sv4.png
']
ThrottleBody_zpsirl69sv4.png
[/URL]

Idles at 5,000rpm??? I would say you've got some major problems going on. You should be sitting around 650rpm at idle. Even reving to 3,000rpm on a cold engine is not the best thing for it. If it's really 5,000rpm I would not run the engine until you get it figured out.

It's not this guy is it? Only thing I could find near throttle body on the firewall side. Mine is an 04 though so drive by wire
20161018_161942_zps3wgmjatb.jpg
']
20161018_161942_zps3wgmjatb.jpg
[/URL]
20161018_161933_zpso6ciegbx.jpg
']
20161018_161933_zpso6ciegbx.jpg
[/URL]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't idle at 5000 rpm, it just revs up to that on startup and then tapers down to a rough idle around 1000 rpm. It was running fine, other than a rough idle before I changed the intake manifold because it had a crack in it. I did get 3 codes bad for spark plugs misfire and fuel injectors on cylinders 2 & 7 open circuit and I'm in the process of correcting that now. I meant to post pictures today but forgot and we'll do it tomorrow.

Back