Where does this connector go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where does this connector go?

gorp00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
20180422_183101[1].jpg
Installing a steering column in a 1997 Explorer. I've managed to locate and reconnect all of the connections except one. It's a single light blue/yellow wire and inside the connector there is a single, flat blade. The wire comes out of the harness near the u-joint end of the column and is about 4 inches long. On my truck the connector is gray.

I checked what wiring diagrams I could find but did not see a wire of that color listed. I'm pretty sure it belongs somewhere on the column, I just can't find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it's for the key chime and it goes somewhere in the key lock/cylinder.

Thanks but I got that one. This wire is not long enough to reach the wheel end of the column. I added a picture to the original post.

I wonder if it is the horn ground. Does the horn work? Heh, even if it is, I don't know where it plugs into if it's coming from the horn instead of (too short to be?) going to it.

I wonder if it is the horn ground. Does the horn work? Heh, even if it is, I don't know where it plugs into if it's coming from the horn instead of (too short to be?) going to it.
Haven't gotten to the steering wheel yet, but I'll give them a try. I finally found a reference to a light blue with yellow tracer wire. An old Haynes manual shows it as going to a Clutch pedal position switch jumper. Since I have an auto. could it be that this is not used?

Thanks

Yes! it is unused for auto trans

Back