Where is 2020 Ford Explorer Intake Vent located | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is 2020 Ford Explorer Intake Vent located

Explorer2020Man

Reaction score
City, State
Avondale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello. I'm having an issue with my 2020 Ford Explorer smelling like mildew when AC is on. I have read forums and they say to spray Lysol in the intake vents usually located under the windshield. The Explorer has vents there, but they only go the the batter and fuse compartments. It's not the intake air vents for the HVAC. Does anyone know where the intake vents would be located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This doesn't tell you where the vent is but it is a good video on how to change the cabin air filter. Perhaps you can determine the general location of the intake vents by looking where the air filter goes. The Gen 5 filter was a real pain to change and they have improved it a bit with Gen 6. Hope this a little bit helpful.

I think it’s behind the battery obvi under that plastic cowl. If you pull off that plastic around the battery I think you’ll see it.

Thanks both of you! You are indeed correct. I actually took my filter out, placed my cell phone in the filter spot and turned flashlight on and sure enough, the light was hitting the battery!

I'm not really great with cars, so I just always assumed it goes through the cooling mode then into the car. Apparently it doesn't! So, I sprayed the heck out of it with Lysol, and now all I can smell is the Lysol. Not sure if it killed any of the mold/mildew or if is just masking the smell of it :confused:. But, I suppose it's better than nothing! I used to live in a VERY humid climate then moved to Arizona, so not sure if that's why it's doing this or not.

The heat exchanger is nearly always in the cabin, probably downstream of the filter.

Thanks both of you! You are indeed correct. I actually took my filter out, placed my cell phone in the filter spot and turned flashlight on and sure enough, the light was hitting the battery!

I'm not really great with cars, so I just always assumed it goes through the cooling mode then into the car. Apparently it doesn't! So, I sprayed the heck out of it with Lysol, and now all I can smell is the Lysol. Not sure if it killed any of the mold/mildew or if is just masking the smell of it :confused:. But, I suppose it's better than nothing! I used to live in a VERY humid climate then moved to Arizona, so not sure if that's why it's doing this or not.
I remember a similar issue with my 2015 Ex and one of the ideas was to run the heat full blast while driving for a few minutes. When I lived in Florida, I used to turn off the AC about 10 mins out from home (if I remembered) so that the condensation would be reduced a bit when I turned it off. Lysol should work I would think.

I remember a similar issue with my 2015 Ex and one of the ideas was to run the heat full blast while driving for a few minutes. When I lived in Florida, I used to turn off the AC about 10 mins out from home (if I remembered) so that the condensation would be reduced a bit when I turned it off. Lysol should work I would think.
I'm happy to report Lysol did work :). In Arizona you can't exactly turn off the AC 10 minutes out. You would melt and if you didn't you would have other smells that aren't so great! HAHA! 110 degrees in the summer here! LOL :)

I'm happy to report Lysol did work :). In Arizona you can't exactly turn off the AC 10 minutes out. You would melt and if you didn't you would have other smells that aren't so great! HAHA! 110 degrees in the summer here! LOL :)
A late Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

At least you don't have that icky humidity!

Back