Where is the 4X4 control module in a 2006 Ford Ranger V6 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the 4X4 control module in a 2006 Ford Ranger V6 XLT?

mike tanis

Reaction score
City, State
mashpee, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford ranger xlt v6
never knew there was a site just for ford rangers, this is cool. maybe you can help me, trying to locate the electronic transfer control module for the 4x4. it is not working, lights not coming on. fuses check out and i don't seem to be getting power to the transfer motor, rigged up test light because i was by myself. control module is not where haynes book says it is!! does anybody know where this thing is?? and how big is it. is it easy to check? again wiring diagram for this is hard to find.
thanks and look forward to using this site more, now that i know it is here.
mike tanis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe you can help me, trying to locate the electronic transfer control module for the 4x4.
The location varies by year. In 2006, it is in the dash center cavity. Remove the radio and radio bezel, it is the black box on the left side of the cavity.

thanks for the replies, i have been steered in the wrong direction and it can be frustrating, now i can trouble shoot this and find out what's wrong,
thanks again'
mike

Do you know where the 4x4 motor is on the 2006 Ford Ranger V6 XLT?

Yes. We have a couple of good threads on rebuilding transfer cases as well as a thread on repairing the shift motor. Take a look at the sticky threads on the top of the transmissions & transfer cases section.

Yes. We have a couple of good threads on rebuilding transfer cases as well as a thread on repairing the shift motor. Take a look at the sticky threads on the top of the transmissions & transfer cases section.[/QUO

Guess I am not sure how to do that?

Location of the 4x4 module for a 1994 ranger (splash)

hey all,
just got the ranger and the 4x4 wont engage - printed out the trouble shooting guide (now work) but the problem is i can not locate the 4x4 module - and or the computer.

Thanks
Alex

The location varies by year. In 2006, it is in the dash center cavity. Remove the radio and radio bezel, it is the black box on the left side of the cavity.
can you replace this through the radio hole without taking dash apart?
i believe this is my issue, truck was sometimes going into 4 low when 4 high was selected, now it won't go into 4x4 at all and no light but has light when starting vehicle as other dash lights light, saw on youtube to unhook battery and reset module, this works but every time i go to use or need 4x4 i have to unhook battery first for 5 to 10 minutes.

Back