Where is the coolant leaking from? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the coolant leaking from?

Stocker4now

Reaction score
City, State
Belleview, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Just replaced my thermostat housing on an 02 4.0 and while filling the coolant reservoir back up to get running again, there is coolant leaking from somewhere on the intake manifold, running down the passenger side front of engine, the engine has not been started yet and the ground is level, how the hell is water running uphill in the system without the engine running and the water pump moving it through the system?, thanks for any and all help, I'm just very very confused at this point

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no coolant in manifold

There is no coolant in the intake manifold. I suspect that your housing or one of the hoses connected to it is leaking. When the coolant level in the radiator is above the leak gravity forces the coolant to flow.

found it

The coolant temp sensor in the tstat housing wasn't sealing, don't know if I need a new One ring or seal for it, also, while checking it out, I lost the clip that holds it in the housing, know where I can find one, no Explorers in the local bone yards

Back