Where is the most likely spot for an exhaust leak? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the most likely spot for an exhaust leak?

PAExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AWD
I have noticed the sound of an exhaust leak generally coming from the front. Where is the most likely source? For all I know it could be the original muffler (1998, 173,000 miles). Could they last that long?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crawl under it and find the leak. Don't drive over yourself ;)

If you aren't willing to do that, than you should head to a muffler shop.

What Robman suggests is about the only thing you can do unless you know someone with a lift. I suspect that if you go to a muffler shop and tell them you think you have an exhaust leak, they most likely WILL find a leak somewhere. They will then strongly urge that you have the problem fixed immediately at their shop (for the safety of you and your family, of course.)

Don't mess around with having an exhaust leak. It can kill you. Find it (or have someone else find it) and fix it.

I have noticed the sound of an exhaust leak generally coming from the front. Where is the most likely source? For all I know it could be the original muffler (1998, 173,000 miles). Could they last that long?
Given the mileage and front location of the noise, I'd look closely at the
EGR pipe where it connects to the exhaust manifold. That's where they
tend to break.

God help you if that's the case.:D

Because the fittings are usually rusted together quite thoroughly.

Back