Where is the voltage regulator located? Overcharging alternator, trying to find the cause. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the voltage regulator located? Overcharging alternator, trying to find the cause.

Years ago we had several rebuilding shops in the neighborhood for alternators, starters, rack & pinions, and carburetors. These places went out of business when the big auto parts stores like Autozone, Pep Boys, and Advance Auto opened. The mom & pop small shops used the local rebuilders for their parts (including the Ford dealership which resold these things as genuine Ford remanufactured parts). I bought parts directly from them, and was surprised to find this out. I went into a dealership, and saw the delivery guy which I've dealt with making a delivery with the same boxes that the small stores had.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I beg to differ. That statement might hold true for alternator designs of the 60's, 70's and 80's. But alternator components have come a long way.

Shops don't repair alternators because a shop makes a ton more money installing complete alternators rather than fixing them.

Think about it, how many times can you remove and replace an alternator on these Explorers?

Takes less than 10 minutes to replace them.

If a shop charges customers $150 hour labor and the shop employee changes 6 alternators in an hour, each one of those 6 customers are gonna pay the full $150 hour labor fee.

6 customers X $150 each labor fee = Shop earns $900 in 1 hour.

Versus, the 1 hour it takes the shop employee to rebuild a single alternator.

1 customer X $150 labor fee to rebuild the alternator = Shop earns $150 in that 1 hour.

One of my trucks is a 2004 F-150. It has 240,x.. miles on the odometer. The alternator is the original OEM unit which came with the truck when I bought the truck new back in 2003. I've replaced the $50 voltage regulator once and I've replaced a $10 rectifier. Total alternator maintenance cost over the past 18 years?.......$60. How much does an inferior replacement alternator cost? $400, and pay that much every 80,000 miles?

There was a time when it was infact cheaper to replace an alternator rather than rebuilding it because rebuilding was a very labor intensive process........that time has come and gone. The tables have turned and it's now cheaper to replace a single part in/on an alternator when it fails rather than rebuilding or completely replacing one.

Here we have several (at least 4 or 5 well known) mom and pop shops that take in old alternators and rebuild them and sell them for $100-130CAD. They do the same for starters. I bought my new alternator from one of these shops, same with the starter that I put in just a couple of months ago. New alternators from parts stores here are triple the price of a rebuilt one.

I also have a rebuilt alternator from the same shop in my other car. Been in there for 2 years now.

I haven't bought an alternator for my Explorers from a parts store in decades. It's always been pretty common to find like-new replacement alternators at my local U Pull. Would grab one as a spare when they had their periodic 50% off sales for under $25.

I beg to differ. That statement might hold true for alternator designs of the 60's, 70's and 80's. But alternator components have come a long way.

Shops don't repair alternators because a shop makes a ton more money installing complete alternators rather than fixing them.

Think about it, how many times can you remove and replace an alternator on these Explorers?

Takes less than 10 minutes to replace them.

If a shop charges customers $150 hour labor and the shop employee changes 6 alternators in an hour, each one of those 6 customers are gonna pay the full $150 hour labor fee.

6 customers X $150 each labor fee = Shop earns $900 in 1 hour.

Versus, the 1 hour it takes the shop employee to rebuild a single alternator.

1 customer X $150 labor fee to rebuild the alternator = Shop earns $150 in that 1 hour.

One of my trucks is a 2004 F-150. It has 240,x.. miles on the odometer. The alternator is the original OEM unit which came with the truck when I bought the truck new back in 2003. I've replaced the $50 voltage regulator once and I've replaced a $10 rectifier. Total alternator maintenance cost over the past 18 years?.......$60. How much does an inferior replacement alternator cost? $400, and pay that much every 80,000 miles?

There was a time when it was infact cheaper to replace an alternator rather than rebuilding it because rebuilding was a very labor intensive process........that time has come and gone. The tables have turned and it's now cheaper to replace a single part in/on an alternator when it fails rather than rebuilding or completely replacing one.
I challenge you to find a typical repair shop that will do an alternator rebuild as their default repair.

99% of shops out there, you bring in a car with an alt that isn’t putting out the right voltage? They’re swapping the whole thing.

I’m not saying it’s right, I’m just saying it’s the norm, and standard practice these days. Especially if the mechanic sees that it’s a 26 year old original unit, as in this case. I’m sure the bearings and brushes were not long for this world.

I worked as a professional mechanic back in the day. There were many parts assemblies that we could overhaul, but we didn’t. We replaced them as an assembly. It wasn’t so much for the profit, but because it reduced ‘call backs’, arguments, and poor reviews.

In the case of an old alternator, you tell them that the voltage regulator is shot, but the rest of the alternator is probably not far behind. 80% of customers will tell you to only replace the regulator. So you do that, and six weeks later the bearings/brushes/etc go. Now they’re back, pissed off, “you said you fixed it, what the **** did I pay you for, I want this repair honored” blah blah.

Fewer headaches to just replace the whole damn thing.

In the case of an old alternator, you tell them that the voltage regulator is shot, but the rest of the alternator is probably not far behind..

Is that true how when one part of the alternator goes, the rest of it isn't far behind to fail?

Is it pretty rare for any alternator to last 26 years?

If you can't fix it yourself, don't second guess the guy who can.

Cars fixed. No need for this trolling discussion.
Relax Mr. Turtle "Moderator"......nobody's trolling anything. We're all just tossing up ideas and information. Get the stick out of your ass

Get off your high "MODERATOR" pedestal and STFU & let us little people toss ideas back & forth.

If you don't like something you see/read......feel free to scroll past it and leave us alone.

Ignorant arrogance.

Megadeth song lyrics:
You take a mortal man.
Put him in control.
Watch him become a "God".
Watch people's heads roll.

Feel free to log out and/or delete your account. Thank you.

Or if you can't handle my statement, feel free to "ban" me......just know that if you ban me people will notice that I've not commented anymore and it's because you couldn't handle my truth and infact pushed your "moderator weight" around and banned a "little guy" because you couldn't deal with truth.

Relax Mr. Turtle "Moderator"......nobody's trolling anything. We're all just tossing up ideas and information. Get the stick out of your ass

Get off your high-ass "MODERATOR" pedestal and STFU & let us little people toss ideas back & forth.

If you don't like something you see/read......feel free to scroll your "moderator ass" right past it and leave us alone.

Ignorant arrogance.

Megadeth song lyrics:
You take a mortal man.
Put him in control.

Or if you can't handle my statement, feel free to "ban" me......just know that if you ban me people will notice that I've not commented anymore and it's because you couldn't handle my truth and infact pushed your "moderator weight" around and banned a "little guy" because you couldn't deal with truth.
I double it

Is that true how when one part of the alternator goes, the rest of it isn't far behind to fail?

Is it pretty rare for any alternator to last 26 years?
had old alt on this one last 24 and 320k was still charging fine when changed. simply changed due to age.

Get off your high-ass "MODERATOR" pedestal and STFU & let us little people toss ideas back & forth.

If you don't like something you see/read......feel free to scroll your "moderator ass" right past it and leave us alone.

Ignorant arrogance.

Megadeth song lyrics:
You take a mortal man.
Put him in control.

imo both need to chillax. i will say we have had a few troll threads lately (i will send a PM). can say jon is a very cool guy overall. all of us need a reality check once in a while, and maybe it was a bit early for that post from him, but i can see where he is coming from. though, i can also see where you are coming from. just there is a backstory that may be nice to know before saying that

had old alt on this one last 24 and 320k was still charging fine when changed. simply changed due to age.
Wow your original stock alternator lasted 24 years. But you changed it just for peace of mind. Okay so me getting a rebuilt in on a 26 year old alternator wasn’t a waste of money at all. I feel more reassured now that this was money well spent. I’m assuming the greater the age a part is, the higher the risk of it going out.

Wow your original stock alternator lasted 24 years. But you changed it just for peace of mind. Okay so me getting a rebuilt in on a 26 year old alternator wasn’t a waste of money at all. I feel more reassured now that this was money well spent. I’m assuming the greater the age a part is, the higher the risk of it going out.
i mean i was removing it for other work anyways, so may as well. still got the stock one if the new one ever goes. and yeah, greater risk of failure as it ages, but mine charged fine etc

Rebuild the OEM and put it on your shelf

My OEM lasted barely over 100k. I think my truck was built on a Friday

Back