Where should I goto college?! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Where should I goto college?!

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
Ok, so I have very few days left to decide, and I am completely torn.

I am either going to Georgia Tech or UF, even though I got into every school I applied to except for Vanderbilt (who do they think they are? :p)... but these two are pretty much what I want...

On one hand, Tech is one of the top 5 engineering colleges in the nation, and it is in the heart of a great city. The classes are typically small, the professors speak fluent english, and you are with some pretty bright people. It also has one hell of an amazing co-op/internship program, and the name is pretty well respected. The student body is smaller, the campus is nicer, the facilities are nicer, etc. The CRC is amazing, every treadmill, bike etc has an LCD built in with over 100 channels (including HBO1 and 2 :)) as wells as two pools, one olympic, 5 raquetball courts, etc. Basically, the school itself is really nice. However I stayed on campus, and it seems to me the students don't really enjoy their time there as they should. They all say the classes are very hard, but the local GA student moreso than out of state. They also say you can pretty well expect to get a C in certain classes just because the grading system dictates only 15% will get As, etc, and that when you are at Tech you are ALWAYS bested by someone else. The person I stayed with was in my major, but he apparently does not like it at all, and says he is going into law school when he graduates from tech. So generally, campus is nice, school is hard, students... I am maybe not so fond of them. GA tech is also pretty expensive, and an 8-9 hour drive from home.

Then you have UF. Nobody sees UF and thinks "What an awesome engineering school." UF is huge, its a city all its own. Classes in my first year or two will be huge... I may have some professor I cannot understand at all. The campus is that of a state school, albeit a nice one. The people are much moreso what I am used to, it is exactly the climate I know and love, it is 2.5 hours from home, and a hell of alot cheaper. In classes at UF I should not have any problem getting As as long as I actually work (which I would also have to do at Tech, but not necessarily get As). Florida does not have a particularly strong co-op/internship program... although it has one... nothing remotely on the scale of Techs (techs is pretty darn phenominal). I know more than a few people going to UF currently, and coming from my HS with me, including two of my best friends and IBT (yes Robb, that IBT). So, UF is a more 'comfortable' fit, but not necessarily the school that Tech is... the name is not prestigious... it isn't exactly one of the Top 5.

So, here is my plan: right now I am thinking Electrical Engineering degree, but that may change, I don't know. I am definitely positively going to grad school or med school after college, that depends. If I do medschool it will probably be radiology or neurosurgery or something of the sorts. Gradschool will probably lead me to a PhD in some sort of abstract physics or something of that nature. Either way, I plan to keep on attending school after college.

Now, in all honesty, money is not a problem... I can go to either without considering money... however, considering how much my parents have already invested into my education, I think it is unwise to waste their money. That said, if UF is going to lead me to the same quality grad/med schools, why waste the money on Tech. But when you have the option to goto a school as good as Tech, is it really wise to waste that opportunity?

I dont know! I am realllly torn between the two, so if any of you experienced old farts or college students have any words of wisdom, let me hear them!

-----Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Community College!

:p

edit: wait! I actually read part of it! Um, yea, IBT!!!!!!! :D

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
I don't think you should go to GA Tech. Jason went there and look at where he ended up :p :D Just kidding. Congrats on getting into almost all of the schools you applied to. Good luck on your decision. :)

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
bmxking5 said:
Congrats on getting into almost all of the schools you applied to.
Yeah, thanks :p I can't complain, but I am a little pissed that a college that doesn't even rank in the top 50 would Deny me when the NUMBER 4 SCHOOL accepts me. How dare they? How dare they? :p

Hehe. Looking for more input besides Robb's sexually influenced advice... although the GA Tech = Jason comment has been noted :p

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
I wouldn't take EE unless you are really serious about being an Engineer or you are smarter than Einstein - its a grind for most mortals. Lots of math, chemistry and physics. Also, the ratio of men to women in most of those classes is about 90 to 10 if that. If I had it to do over again, I would have taken business classes or something*

Most med school people do something like Biochemistry or one of the Life Sciences as an undergrad. Are you sure you want to go to engineering school?

If I were you, I'd go to San Diego State - its right on the beach ;) :p

* Of course, I'm just a bitter old engineer now, but I once showed promise :(

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
Certainly I'm not smarter than einstein, but I dunno... I am comfortable with those classes I think. For example, I had a physics test on electricity this week, and I was one of two people to score an A on it. The remarkable part is the other person that scored an A had studied for 2 hours every day for 5 days before the test... whereas I didn't know we had the test until I sat down and stopped staring at the clock long enough to hear that we had something to actually do. Physics and those sorts of things come naturally to me I guess, and I really dont find them all that difficult.

That said, if I do decide to go premed, I might do biomed engr. or something like that. my Dad, an MD says it doesnt make a lick of difference what you major in your undergrad years, so long as you do it well. Two of the best cardiologists I know in tampa (twins) majored in art history at dartmouth.... so, I think that is pretty well verified. I only chose engineering becuase I have previously excelled at it, and have in some whimsical way or another desired to pursue it. Certainly things change (I mean, a year ago I would have sworn to you I would never become a Dr. like my Dad) but I know engineering is something I could do. Maybe EE is something that would challenge me more than I ever have been before... but I know I can do it.

The men to women point is interesting... tech is like 7:3 I think, Florida is 1:1 afaik.... I dunno, something to consider I guess.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
I still remember that the homework load was pretty high at my school for those classes - you need to turn something in every class meeting. I spent a lot of time doing homework. My business roommates didn't have classes on Fridays because the faculty didn't like coming to campus :rolleyes:

If you did take engineering and then medical school, it would be a really great combo for some type of Biomedical career. Something that I thought briefly about at one point, but blood and guts aren't my thing. ;)

dman726749

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
dont go somewhere where you wont be happy....plain and simple you will be ther for 4+ years and you really dont want thoes years to be looked back on and see how unhappy you were. go where you can get a good education in class and also get an education in life outside of class. there is so much more to college than going to class and taking tests and all that. i dont really know if you should be takin my advice but oh well :D

Oh yea, i just got back from a great party :D College rules :D

Crankcase

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver B.C, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XL Ex-Police
IBT....follow her:D Good times, good times.;)

GaSouthern1

Elite LS2 -
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 GTO
I would say go to Tech man, you will like it. One of my best friends is in the EE program and it is said to be the hardest major on campus. I know he works his ass off. One thing about tech though, NO GIRLS AT ALL, none, nada zip. Gotta go to UGA or Southern for them. :D

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Dood
You look like a football kind of guy, have you considered G.S.U.:)

dman726749

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenwood Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
spindlecone said:
Dood
You look like a football kind of guy, have you considered G.S.U.:)

hahahahahahahaha nate ....football...hahahahahahahhahahahahahah

no offencs or anything nate ;) :D

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
GaSouthern1 said:
One thing about tech though, NO GIRLS AT ALL, none, nada zip. Gotta go to UGA or Southern for them. :D

As a UGA alumnus, I remember the old saying .... How do you separate the men from the boys at Tech? With a crowbar. And do you know why they put artificial turf in at Bobby Dodd stadium/Grant Field? To keep the cheerleaders from grazing.

Seriously, Tech is a good maybe great school.Unfortunately located in Atlanta; at least the Varsity is across the Interstate. However, I would definitely recommend UF; you will truly enjoy all that a MAJOR university has to offer.

Did you consider MIT or Cal Tech?

Good luck wherever you go.

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
aldive said:
Did you consider MIT or Cal Tech?

Good luck wherever you go.
I didn't consider MIT, way too cold. I didn't apply to caltech because I doubted I would get in, but in hindsight (according to my paid college counselor too) I probably would have, so maybe I should have... but oh well.

Thanks though, I have been told by almost everyone that I can't really make a wrong decision between the two... maybe they are not the top 2 or 3 schools, but one is 4th ;) and the other is still a damn good/fun school that should get me into the kind of respectable grad/med school I want to get into... so I am pretty content either way.

terdrocket

Traitor SS
Reaction score
City, State
jax, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
TBSS
You gonna go frat, or stay Mi Phi Mi?
That makes a difference.
I graduated from UF. I was not interested in a frat.
At first I was kinda lost in the sea of 40,000+ students. There are groups for every minority, but none for the average white guy. UF is great during the summer though. Its like a whole different school. I actually had small classes.

Broccoli1

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '93 xlt
This my favorite Scientist: http://www.feynmanonline.com/

I post this because, as mentioned, you should enjoy life as much as you enjoy your education.

I think you will enjoy any one of these books and for Gods sake man have a good time while you are in college!!!

UF

:thumbsup:

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
nweibley said:
my Dad, an MD says it doesnt make a lick of difference what you major in your undergrad years, so long as you do it well. Two of the best cardiologists I know in tampa (twins) majored in art history at dartmouth.... so, I think that is pretty well verified.

No... no. When your MCATs roll around, even if you take one of those fancy Kaplan or Testmasters Prep courses, you'll wish you majored in something that would help. My girlfriend is a Biology and Political Science double major and Chemistry minor at Villanova University. Even with all the preparation they provided, she spent a good portion of her last four months preparing for the MCAT. Without the background, though, I doubt that any person could adequately prepare for the MCAT without at least one year of concept study and self-testing. Unless, of course, you want to go to med school in the Caribbean.

If you're seriously considering medicine, make sure you touch on it in your undergraduate years. If you want to take anything during your undergraduate years, and by some chance law school appeals to you, do what I did and major in something you know you'll do good in (Political Science with a History minor). Then prepare your ass off for the LSAT. I could have named my law school, and I pretty much did. And the best part - law school scholarships.

Anyway, good luck with your choice. :thumbsup:

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Through my co-op with Bosch in Charleston I have worked with 5 Georgia Tech students...

0/5 say they enjoy going to Georgia Tech.

They were all from the Atlanta area and they go there b/c of the Hope Scholarship ~ if it weren't free, they would be anywhere else.

They complain about the professors (not being able to understand them) ~ but I think you'll find that anywhere b/c i've had problems with professors at VT.

I also have worked with 3 people who go to UF, they seem to like it well enough

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
Lot's of Georgia Tech rumors... I'll tell you how it ACTUALLY is, not how everyone's friend's friends said it is. Sent ya a PM.