Where should I goto college?! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Where should I goto college?!

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Like the late, great Lewis Grizzard once said he tried to get into Tech but he didn't have enough pimples.

I have friends who attended Tech and I razz them about it as they do a good old boy from UGA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
jasonb said:
Lot's of Georgia Tech rumors... I'll tell you how it ACTUALLY is, not how everyone's friend's friends said it is. Sent ya a PM.
Thanks, always looking for first hand experience.... will read it as soon as you are done.

All other comments greatly appreciated and taken into consideration. Thank you all! :)

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
nweibley said:
Thanks, always looking for first hand experience.... will read it as soon as you are done.

All other comments greatly appreciated and taken into consideration. Thank you all! :)

I wasn't putting down GT. I've visited and had fun there. I think the people I know are just the types that would rather spend their spring breaks typing computer codes than hanging out at the beaches of Charleston.

(one literally did that 2 weeks ago)

Come to think of it, 2 of my co-workers went to GT and had a blast. They're always swapping fraternity stories.

The main thing I'll tell you is that you should go where you think you'll be comfortable and have fun. An engineering degree is an engineering degree. From seeing who they hire at work, it really doesn't matter where you went to school, just that you have a degree. Your grades/work ethic will speak more than the name of the school on your diploma. Have fun, it'll be the best 4-6 years of your life ;)

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
Definetly go where you'll feel comfortable. If your not comfortable with your surroundings your school work will drop off. I know mine sure did. It feels like i'm just visiting a foreign enviroment, making it much easier to not go to class, or not do homework, etc.

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Do one thing for me though... if you go to GT, explain to me why they all yell "When you said Budweiser, you said it all" at football games

lol, they also yell "Fight, drink, win, get NAKED" at the games too... maybe you should go to that school. ;)

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
I don't think anyone is putting down GT. I just know that hearing things second hand is always a little different than spending 5 years there, so I offered him insight into the time I did spend there.

I've visited friends at other colleges.. UGA, GSU, some little colleges, Clemson, and others... and to be honest.. there was just as much partying going on at GT as those if you compare relative to the size of the school. Some of these towns are college towns that have nothing else going on. I wasn't a big party person so I didn't care about that as much. I had a good time and met great people there. Social life is what you make of it. You can find idiots and cool folks at any school. You will find uglies and hotties at any school.. the good thing about GT is that most of the hotties are actually smart too. Well.. I consider that a good thing at least. You can be successful or not with a degree from any school. Some diplomas will carry more weight than others and there is a reason for that. That doesn't mean having a degree from a good school will get you a good job automatically.
There is no "typical" student at any school. That is something you will realize no matter where you go.

Hokie.. I don't know the real reason that we say that at games. The funny thing is that half the crowd only knows that part. If I ever learned why that is a tradition or how it started.. I forget the answer.

rfuree11

Official Bikini Inspector
Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 WRX Limited
nweibley said:
I didn't consider MIT, way too cold.

wimp :p

Facilities aren't everything. I also wouldn't recommend EE for med school. Do any of the schools you got accepted to offer a biomedical engineering major? That seems like it would be best for you.

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
rfuree11 said:
wimp :p

Facilities aren't everything. I also wouldn't recommend EE for med school. Do any of the schools you got accepted to offer a biomedical engineering major? That seems like it would be best for you.
:p How dare you! I have still never seen snowfall, LoL.

I am not necessarily going to medschool... I am definitely going to either med or grad school though. If I find medicine interesting enough I will switch to biomed (which both schools have) or chemistry or nuclear physics or something of that sort.

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
Ever thought about Pharmacy as a career? Seems like it has a lot going for it as long as you don't have an addictive personality. ;)

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
Right now pharmacists seem to be in a demand. They easily pull 6 figures in many locations doing retail. Specialties get significantly more, such as critical care pharmacy and nuclear pharmacy.

If I could do it all over again, I'd probably look at pharmacy and its derivatives. It was one of those darkhorse careers that I never really put much thought into while in high school.

jayhawkexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Mission, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Well I'm going to be graduating in a month from college so I figured I could give some input here. You've got two great schools to pick from. I, unfortunately, don't have firsthand experience with either, being from Wisconsin and going to school at The University of Kansas. The difference between GT and UF, to me, seems to be that GT is more of an urban environment and UF is more of a college town. That's a big difference and can make the difference between you liking/disliking your time at a school. I did not want to go to school in an urban environment, which is why I don't regret not going to the University of Wisconsin, as good a school as it is, I don't want to be going to school in a city. UF seems like the college town to me. So in that way, I'd learn towards UF. Think seriously about what environment appeals to you, and give that judgment a lot of weight. The engineering programs are important to think about, but by statistical probability, you're going to change majors and be something completely different anyway. I know engineering sounds great now but you might hate it after first semester. The smartest guy I know from home was going to do biomedical engineering and hated it even though he was getting a 4.0, so he switched and now he's a theology major. He doesn't have a career path anymore, but he's happy. That's what's great about big schools. You get to experience a lot of different things, different people, and different situations. Take a class you never thought you would. Take something that has no relavance to what you think your career will be. Join as many groups/clubs as you can. Have as much fun as you possibly can without flunking out. And know that those four years will go by faster then you could ever imagine. I swear I just moved into the dorms last week, and now I'm graduating. Good luck...

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
jayhawkexplorer said:
Have as much fun as you possibly can without flunking out. And know that those four years will go by faster then you could ever imagine. I swear I just moved into the dorms last week, and now I'm graduating. Good luck...

:thumbsup:

A wise friend of mine (from college) once said:

There are two reasons to go to college, one is to get good grades, one is to learn new things. These two reasons have nothing to do with each other.

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
I have decided.

GO GATORS!

I'll explain later. :D

I'm happy though, I can buy the teeshirt and be done with it.
Who knows where I will be in two years though ;)