Where to buy the Silver coated amber bulbs, etc. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to buy the Silver coated amber bulbs, etc.

A few months ago i read a thread debating the availability of cheap replacement bulbs - the silver colored amber signal bulbs to be exact. I cannot seem to find it when searching.

Now that i've got the silverstars in my diamondclears, the corner light that doesn't blink is no longer a matching white. I want a superwhite 194 (?) bulb, and possibly the silver/amber 3157s for the blinkers. Anyone know of a decent priced distributor online??? I know you can paint'em but don't want to go there.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try getting silverstar 3157's on ebay, glow amber when lit, don't look amber when unlit. They were scarce a few weeks ago, but I haven't checked lately to see if anyone is selling them. As far as the little bulb, that SOB is a PITA, I've tried different things and haven't been happy with much of anything. Right now, I've got a little 3 led bulb off ebay that glows amber and that works okay, till I figure something else out. So you may have to just experiment with the getting the little one to match up to the headlights, try a few leds or something, once again, ebay is your friend.
My cardomain site has pics of what the silverstars look like in clear corners in the day.

EDIT: I know the silverstar corners are expensive, but I've tried alternatives and they all suck ass, those "platinum" bulbs didn't last long at all. Someone on here has this phrase in their sig "Buy the best and only cry once". After spending twice what silverstars cost buying several cheapies, I am now a firm believer in that motto.

Thanks jim...yeah, eBay is ALL of our friends (unless you buy the "resistor" or "electric blower" HP mods).

I'll look on eBay for the 3157s - i just saw them at autozone and they're listing @ $20 each. WOW! I wonder if sylvania spends even $1 more on that light's production, compared to a standard bulb.

I bought some 3157 Silverstars at my Schucks, $20 for the pair. I didn't really want the Silverstars but those are the only amber 3157's they had.

Bill, since you are our resident Lighting Guru/Mod can I ask your honest opinion on which you think is better? I of course have only had bad luck with chromax types, I'm assuming you've had better results since you mentioned them, lol. What are your thoughts on the situation, if any?
I just don't trust the painted types as it seems to burn off the coating, or at least it did in my case, whereas I haven't had anything burn off of the silverstars (knock on wood). I'm not so much pro-silverstar, as I am pro-whatever-works.
I didn't mean to come off as bashing any other brand, just sharing my experiences.

I have had chromax discolor after a year or so, havent had any burn off issues. But there are not any alternatives. Silverstars are blue that light up amber. If you want chrome colored bulbs I dont know of any other. They are a little dimmer than regular amber bulbs. I have not tried the Silverstars 3157 so not much help there.

My Silverstar 3157 bulbs are silver and shine amber.

I should have titled the thread "Where to buy Superwhite 194s"

I'm not so concerned about the 3157s as i am the 194. For the 3157s, i was just looking for opinions on where to buy'em. I've got a criss-cross setup with my headlights/cornerlights and I'm looking for something that matches the silverstars better than what i have now.

Thanks for all the help. I'll pick up a superwhite/ultrawhite 194 and see how it looks

I bought Silver 194A's from that website I listed. They were cheap....AND they look REALLY good.

Ryan

Spdrcer34 said:
I bought Silver 194A's from that website I listed. They were cheap....AND they look REALLY good.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan...i just ordered a pair of 194s. We'll see what happens.

DOH! Well, i got the 194s and they're not the right ones for my corner lenses. Not sure what i was thinking but maybe it's not the 194 that i need. I'm looking to the corner bulb of the three in my turn signal lenses. The top and side are 3157 Ambers, what the hell is the corner bulb on 95-01s??????

F-ME! I need the equivalent of the 916NA, and not the 194 - where the H3LL did i get 194 from? Oh well, anyone need a set of chrome 194 Superwhites??? NEvermind - i just remembered i need license plate bulbs for my inspection and they ARE 194. However, i'll still need to buy the superwhite 916s...

You probably got the bulb # from my post. But I have a 1st Gen, and they use a 194 in the corners that DON'T blink.

Ryan

Nah, Ryan, don't blame yourself...i threw out "194" in my initial post ;)

The 916s in the corner on 95-01s dont blink either. The 194 is just a much smaller bulb than the 916. It fits in the socket and illuminates, but the wattage must be much different. When i installed it the filament had just a low glow.

Superlumination.com has the same (chrome/superwhite) bulb in the 916, it's just listed/sold as 906

Thanks for all your help!

How easy would it be to modify the wiring to make it (the corner lamp) blink? I know I could make it blink at the SAME TIME, but that's not what I want. I want them to have an 'alternating' type of blink.

I had an S-10, and the Corners and Bumper lamps did just that. The blink alternated from one to the other.

I think it would be cool, subtle modifcation.

Ryan

It's REAL HARD, not sure if you're up to it.. Cut the corner ground and wire it to the signal ground. Wipe the sweat off your head and look at the fine mod you've accomplished :D They blink together when lights are off and alternate when the headlights are on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back