Where to buy tires??!?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to buy tires??!??

I live in Phoenix, AZ, and I can't seem to find a tire shop that will sell me some all-terrain tires. I tried Discount Tire, but they said they wouldn't do it. I'm looking to get some 30 inch tires, preferably BF Goodrich tires, and put them on a stock 1998 Mountaineer. Thanks for any info/advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

30" tire and they said no?? Did they say why not?

I got my tires back in December at Discount Tire. It might be because you are wanting to go bigger than stock size??? They had no issue when I got my Bridgestone Revo's put on.

Are they any other Discount tires in the Phoenix area???

Take the wheels off, and take them to them. Don't tell them what they are for, go with specific size in mind. Don't deviate from the plan...

A ton of shops wont touch explorers for anything other than stock size. Ever since the whole "rollover" issue. Not to mention the issues with renting a U-Haul.

Yeah, they said they would only sell me a stock size "passenger" tire, not an all-terrain one. They said it had to do with the whole "roll-over" issue, and that no "reputable" shop would put a bigger size tire on my mountaineer. Thanks for the advice though, I could try to just take the wheels to them.

You will probably have to go to another shop, or have a friend take them in for you.... But either way, if you take in wheels with no center caps, and tell them exactly what you want there isn't much they can do about it.

Or just buy the tires from the cheapest location and find a good mom and pop shop to mount and balance....

Or you can just look the guy in the eye and tell him you are going to do it one way or another and they can get the sell or you'll take your business elsewhere.

Thats really strange the Discount wouldn't sell you tires.. I got my 32" BFG A/Ts from them.. You might just have to buy them online.

Big O and Tire Pros should have no problems. Discount Tire was a ****** bag about mounting 315/70/17 BFG ATs on my boss's F250 on stock rims, here's the catch, it already had that size on there and I already had the replacement tires, I was just trying to pay them for the mounting and they said no.

One exception, near the Scottsdale Air Park there is a Jeep guy named Rick Beer who is an avid offroader who will take care of you. Depending on what part of the valley you live in I suggest C&R Tire off Tatum and Bell (they got the BFGs mounted and I'm going to start using them more often, guy said he will be able to mount my 37" Toyos on my 22s for my Superduty when I need it done), Gunnel's Big O in Mesa on McKellips or Big O on Miller and McDowell. Also there is two 4 wheel parts stores in the valley. They WILL price match and usually have good deals.

Thanks for the info Dannyboy, I will check out Big O or the 4 Wheel Parts store soon, and I guess I could just get the 31's. I'm in Tempe, a full time ASU student, and....I have a little cash left over and want to buy new tires (who really needs textbooks anyway?? lol ;)). Thanks everyone for all the helpful info!!!

Back