Where to get a differential cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to get a differential cover?

jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
I need a new dana 35 (I believe thats right, see my vehicle specs) differential cover for the front diff. Mines leaking and rust is flaking off. I dont think that most of the fancy aftermarket ones will work because there is only 1/2 inch or so of extra room. Plus, im cheap.

Know of anywhere I can get one online?
Will any dana 35 differential cover work? Im seeing jeep and dakota covers but no explorer.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any D35 cover should work - there are no special requrements for the Explorer's D35's cover.

Having said that however, leaks at the cover can usually be solved w/o having to purchase a new cover. Usually leaks develop because the seal has been breached (maybe the bolts have loosened) - which can either be replaced with a new gasket material, or just plain old RTV. If you've been off roading and the leak is due to scraping against obstacles and deforming the cover, a little bit of work with a file to flatten any high spots (on the cover and the diff housing) should solve the leak.

So I would drop the center section and inspect.

Have you tried summitracing.com they should have them...

Have you tried summitracing.com they should have them...

Looks like they have one for 35$. Im checkin a few out on ebay as well.

Thanks a lot, somehow I forgot all about them

I don't see the Rock Crusher cover fitting. It's a tight fit between the front diff & cross member. If it fit, Jon would have one.

Also the front cross member is going to protect the diff cover just as much as the Rock Crusher as the cross member would be the first thing hit.

I don't see the Rock Crusher cover fitting. It's a tight fit between the front diff & cross member. If it fit, Jon would have one.

Also the front cross member is going to protect the diff cover just as much as the Rock Crusher as the cross member would be the first thing hit.

Yup, no way it would fit. There is about 1/2inch of room between the diff cover and cross member. Thanks for the heads up.

Back