Where to install XM receiver? thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to install XM receiver? thoughts?

explorer4x493

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited 4x4 V8
I just got the "roady2", and can't figure out where it would look best. Anyone have pics or thoughts where it could mount in my limited?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

best pic I have at the moment:

SANY0001.jpg

I like how aldive did his. It's in the center pocket things. As soon as I can find one of his pictures I'll post it.

Here's mine. I'm assuming you mean the Roady2 correct?

Attachments

• DSC01232 (Small).JPG
    DSC01232 (Small).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01233 (Small).JPG
    DSC01233 (Small).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 242

thanks alot. that gave me some good ideas. i'll prolly put mine just above my computer to the right. but that's tenative

Mine's almost the same place as Todd's, but more like where his scan gauge sits...and my center console is a little different.

Jefe-I like the idea, i'm just afraid that the shifter would inhibit being able to use all the time.

Todd-That's pretty much what i was thinking but maybe a little more to the right. Where you have it would hide a little of my computer from my view. I don't care if the passenger can see the whole thing, haha. Which mounting method did you use? The sticky w/ the "arm", or screws? I'm just worried that if i used the 3M tape that it would rattle around when driving over bumps. It feels pretty sturdy...but i don't know.

explorer4x493 said:
Jefe-I like the idea, i'm just afraid that the shifter would inhibit being able to use all the time.
heh. . you are very right. You wouldn't be able to put it there with a column shifter.

i got some headunit + xm reciever at walmart for $120 on clearance. works great, and even has aux in :D
A quick cut/splice with an rca audio cable ,and a radioshack headphone panel mount jack, and i have a nifty lil 1/8" jack i can plug ipods, portable dvd players, etc in to..

anyways, http://www.dualav.com/product_individual.php?main=44&id=456 is the kit i got, and i used one of those walmart adaptor plate things so the head unit would fit in the uge stock opening. it turns out that the xm reciever is the perfect height to sit under the head unit on top of the rail the stock stereo used for support. ran the antenna wire out under the dash, tucked up above all the pedals, out the fusebox, and it sits right in the corner of my windshield. keeps passengers from messing with it ;)

wish i had pics. made for a nice clean install for a cheapie stereo

here was mine

Attachments

• xm_2.JPG
    xm_2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 202

this is mine, the reason i like it, it hides away, so when i dont have the skyfi in the truck, i hide the dock

xmbracket1.jpg

xmbracket2.jpg

xmbracket3.jpg

Mine's under the backseat (but I have a Pioneer tuner that plugs into my XM Ready Pioneer tuner).

We scored a Roady for my wife's Subaru Outback and used a "goosneck" mount. Dead easy install as the goodneck mounts to one of the bolts under the passenger seat. The Roady is readily accessible and viewable to the driver, while not getting in the way when a passenger is in the other seat.

Sorry, no pics right now.

I also used the "goosneck" mount (SkiFi2) since there is no other convienent spot to mount & still use the trip computer. I'm very happy with the visibility ect. and the wires can be hidden inside the goosnect sleeve which makes for a clean installation.

Toxic's is pretty freakin sweet.

Bill Kemp said:
I also used the "goosneck" mount (SkiFi2) since there is no other convienent spot to mount & still use the trip computer. I'm very happy with the visibility ect. and the wires can be hidden inside the goosnect sleeve which makes for a clean installation.

My wife's install is very clean too. Wires are all out of the way and pretty much concealed.

Don't see any wires in mine either. Except the plug-in on the side, which can't be helped.

IAmTodd said:
Here's mine. I'm assuming you mean the Roady2 correct?
i placed mine in the same place, just make sure u clean it VERY VERY good other y's the tape thats on the mount wont fit, also let the truck sit in the sun so it warm :thumbsup:

Back