Where to mount a CB??

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hey ya'll I'm outside thinkin lookin where to mount my CB on my first Gen. explorer I don't really wanna hack up the dash and I need room for my shifter I'm puttin a smaller one in til I get the COBRA I want, but if any of you are online right now where should I mount my CB? I'm goin outside in a couple minutes so if any of yenz have suggestions please let me know! Thanks! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my ash tray out and mounted it right in there..I looks really nice I would consider it. depending on what size CB you have mine fit perfectly if you have a smaller one than just mount it to the bottom of the dash below the AC/Heat controls because that's where I was going to put mine.

Yeah, I was debating on the whole ashtray idea because thats where I had an amp mounted before, but sometimes I like to go spotting and then your stuck without a cigarette lighter plug so I think I'll just try under the dash, I never took that part of the dash off before so wasnt sure if there was metal under there to drill into or not, thanks!

There is some metal under there, but not much....also yea in my situation I don't have a use for my cigarette lighter and the tray wasn't connected to the dash because it was broke so we just took it off.

oh ok, i guess i could look at it a little more closely and if my screws dont reach the metal or w/e I can cut a piece of small metal to but in there for the screws to drill into, I dont smoke but its nice to have a power outlet in there :cool: thanks for the info. I'm gunna try and get this in. cya later

Thanks Froader, That custom box looks cool

CB Placement

I hooked mine up on the front end of the center console and it works well

hmm...yeah that'd be something different, with mine bein stick I can't really make a big housing like some of the others did for their explorers. I haven't hooked it up yet I ran the coax in from the antenna but when I hooked power up to the CB the damn thing won't put out Voice for some reason so Goin to look for another one to hook up in there :) Thanks for the idea!

Here's mine, everything works like the ashtray and such. I hate how the tan looks pink in pictures.:D

IMG_2422.jpg

Yeah....debating on which way to do it, I may just stick with having it under the dash because most of the Cobras are fairly big like one of the ones I want that I can put a confederate flag face plate on, but when I get it i'll do measuring make sure it dont stick up to far to get in the way of 2nd,4th,reverse because I know havin a 20oz bottle of soda in the cup holder gets in the way of reverse the shifter always bangs off of it. Doin debation :D Thanks fer your ideas.

alright, finally got one hooked up in there :D but this is rather big its the size of a regular cobra so i aint hookin up the external speaker but going to hook one up under the hood for the PA system for somethin to do lol mounted it right under the ashtray, its a real snug fit to its almost right up against the plastic vent for the heat that goes to the back of the console. thanks for all the tips!

Back