• Register Today It's free!

Where to mount tow hooks

zaomaster1988

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4X4
i just got my 1991 4x4 xl explorer up and running and now im starting my mods but i cant figure out where to bolt on a pair of decent tow hooks where would you suggest. and what if i diddent have tow hooks where would i hook up a recovery strap on a stock 1991 4x4 x?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was able to mount generic hooks from Advance Auto in existing holes in the front frame supports. They tuck up nicely at the bottom edge of the bumper. I don't think I have any pictures of it, but I'll have more pictures up on my page soon.

I had two steel plates made. The tow hooks mount on the bottom of the plate and the top attaches through the existing crumple zone holes in the frame. I used 1/2-inch plate and 1/2-inch grade 8 bolts.

What always surprises me about AdamCKach's tow hook thread is this quote by him:

AdamCKach said:
The hook was then attached by taping the lock nut to the wrench, fishing it in the holes in the front of the frame, and fastening it.

Good LUCK doing that...it's very difficult to do that.

Back