Where to mount tweeters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to mount tweeters?

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
07, Limited, 4.6 V8
I have some Alpine Type-S component speakers that I would like to install. Where is a good place to mount the tweeters? Was going to use the open spot above the mirror switch but after removing the door panel there is an arm behind it that holds the panel tightly against the door. I could still use that location but there wont be anything there left to mount the panel in that area. Think it will be okay without it?
Here are my options:
20240308_125557.jpg

20240308_125345.jpg

20240308_125627.jpg

20240308_125723.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would chose the first location. Mounting them lower in the door panel would allow the higher frequencies to be absorbed by the seats and human body. This would muffle the upper frequencies they reproduce. IMO, this is why tweeters are nearly always installed closer to ear level by car manufacturers.

Is it a surface mount tweeter? If it is then you can drill a hole to get the wires through and leave the mounting tab intact.

Is it a surface mount tweeter? If it is then you can drill a hole to get the wires through and leave the mounting tab intact.
I believe so. I thought of doing something like that but the tweeter holder is a bit bulky and wont look too good like that. Especially from viewing from the side as the threads will be exposed.

20240308_183948.jpg

20240308_184046.jpg

Yeah - if it's got threads and a retaining ring in the back then it's not what I would call a surface mount. I'm not really familiar with those tweeters - I just did a lookup on Crutchfield and they mentioned a surface mount tweeter for that year. You might look around and see if anyone makes one less bulky that is truely meant to be surface mounted.

Edit - checked again and they do have a surface mount tweeter.
2007 Explorer - speakers

1709954527535.png

Yeah - if it's got threads and a retaining ring in the back then it's not what I would call a surface mount. I'm not really familiar with those tweeters - I just did a lookup on Crutchfield and they mentioned a surface mount tweeter for that year. You might look around and see if anyone makes one less bulky that is truely meant to be surface mounted.

Edit - checked again and they do have a surface mount tweeter.
2007 Explorer - speakers
Your right. I looked on the box and they are flush mount. You see I would prefer not spending anymore money and using what I have already from previous vehicles.
A pair of Alpine S-S65C Components
g500SS65C-F.jpg

And a pair of Alpine SPS-610 Coaxials
g500SPS610-o_other.jpeg

Another option would be to use the coaxials up front and the components in the back without the tweeters for mid bass only. That way I wont have to do any modifications to the door panels or spend any more $$. There may be a better spot in the rear doors for the tweeters but not sure ATM. Will know once I remove the rear panels.

Back