• Register Today It's free!

Where to put (4) 10" midranges?!

jsotomar

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Plan on buying 4 10" midrange speakers in the next week. Would the C Pillars hold up 2 speakers each? Maybe fiberglass it? What would it take for these pillars to hold? What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Arrows pointing to the pillars in the rear, closest to the liftgate

TIA PPLES!

1275321227_zps88ddaf6c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Realistically you can do anything you want. But I personally think the weight of 2 10 inch woofers might be a little much for those clips to hold. You may want to consider some sort of screw, or bolt reinforcement to hold it up better. Obviously you will need to fiberglass the mounts, I suggest some MDF mounting rings, the. Fiberglass it so that it seemlessly transitions into the plastic. Good luck man, be sure to keep us updated.

Wait a sec. Technically they could hang there magnetically. Depending on how far in you mount those 10s, the magnet could hold some weight, if it's touching the body of the car. But I highly doubt that's a good idea..

Why on god's earth do you need 4 10 inch mids?

The magnetic idea is good, but over time the speakers themselfa will lose their magnetic ability and perform worse. That and that part of his truck could turn magnetic, which could be awkward… the reason for having 4 10inch mids is obvious it's to get all the *****es! JK, you going for a sound Quality setup OP?

The magnetic idea is good, but over time the speakers themselfa will lose their magnetic ability and perform worse. That and that part of his truck could turn magnetic, which could be awkward… the reason for having 4 10inch mids is obvious it's to get all the *****es! JK, you going for a sound Quality setup OP?

SQ and 4 10 inch mids????? Doubtful. :confused:

Harold knows what's good.

Well, not doing the 4 10's anymore. Instead im just going with 2 10" EV's (Electro Voice) for voice only. Will buy seperate tweeters. I have an alpine sub but want to upgrade that to something a little better. I also have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH installed, and a clarion EQ (not installed yet). I have a Kole Audio 1920w sitting aside for whatever speakers I do buy.

What I previously wanted to go with was 4 10" RF PPS8-10, but I think that will be a little too much. Besides, im getting a deal from a friend, the 2 EV's for $150. Cant beat that :). Yes, going for SQ but not trying to hurt the wallet, so I was searching for used instead of new speakers. I like the sub, but I like the loudness of voice much more.

I guess mounting to those pillars is out of the question :rolleyes:. To gain maximum quality from just 2 speakers, where would be the best place to install? My sub is in the cargo, on the back of the 2nd row seat, facing toward the liftgate. If you cant picture it, let me know, I'll post a pic. (will also be upgrading door speakers as well)

For cars with trunks, its very easy to install aftermarket speakers because of the rear panel. How the hell are we (SUV owners) supposed to install speakers (8" or 10") that will not be in the way? That was the reason for mounting to pillars.

Edit: As for fiberglassing kick panel speakers, they will get in the way especially with the driver emerg. brake

If you're going for SQ, all you'd need is a single 8" or 10" sub in the factory location.

You'd be better off with a VERY good single sub rather than four or even two lesser ones. Spend the money on 5.25"-6.5" mids and tweets.

10" mids are overkill for a vehicle that is driven on the road. You can stuff a vehicle full of things to make it win a car audio competition, but just like SPL vehicles, it comes at the cost of it being driveable.

Best bet is accept that a vehicle environment is a compromise in space and find the best place for a set of mids and highs in the front, maybe filler in the back, and a sub in the factory spot. You save money not overdoing it, you get all the space of a stock SUV, and you don't lose a bundle when it doesn't sound good enough or drives like a tank and you take it out to do something else.

Back