Where to put AC Pag oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to put AC Pag oil?

Post number 5 has been selected as best answered.

sattech2000

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stevensville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Afternoon all!

A failed compressor clutch turned into the replacement of the entire system. Compressor, evaporator, condenser, accumulator, office tube, both refrigerant hoses, fan clutch, fan blade, etc.... Everything!

System holds 9oz of Pag40 oil. Where should I put this? Divide it up and put equal amounts in each unit or ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just added here and there. Your new compressor might have come already filled with oil. If it did, does the insert with the compressor say how much? Too much oil isn't a bad thing, except that means there's less room for the freon (Or whatever you are using) making the A/C less effective.

The last few compressors only that I've done have come empty and specified to drain the oil out of the old compressor to measure how much oil there was and then add that same amount to the new compressor. But great point, I will check to confirm that.

The rule of thumb that I've heard - 1.5 oz in each major component (compressor, evaporator, condenser) and the remainder into the accumulator.

1587667090372.png

1587667193091.png

2002 limited with AC Issues. It has front and rear AC. It takes 56 oz. of R134a. It takes 13 oz. of oil, need to know how much oil goes where on refill/recharge. Flushed the system and ready to install compressor. I have replaced Compressor, drier, front orifice and rear ac expansion valve and condenser with new stuff. I drained the oil out of the compressor that came in it...now I need to know how much of the 13 oz of oil goes in the compressor, the drier, etc...Please provide amounts...I can't find that info anywhere...

Back